2 weeks post op Rhinoplasty, my surgeon has told me to tape my nose every night & press on my nose to continue. (photo)

To mould it into shape over the next 3 months. is this normal procedure after rhinoplasty? Also how long until I can feel the tip of my nose again?

Want a contrarian view? Taping doesn't do anything at all.

Taping might actually do something if: right after you put the tape on, you hold the tape down tightly, with your fingers, all the time, until it's time to remove the tape. Once you let go of the tape, the tape isn't putting any pressure on your nose at all. It's just sitting there passively on the skin.

The inside of your nose don't know the tape is there, any more than it would know if you painted your nose with fingernail polish. The polish, like the tape, is just sitting on the skin, doing nothing.

But even if the tape did something, I'm not so sure it's good. The nose needs to be left alone to heal. If you could hire someone to press on your nose for several hours a day, it's not clear to me that would be good for your nose.

If the nose looks better after two weeks of taping, it's because of the two weeks!

This is *not* meant to disrespect your surgeon; most surgeons have their patients tape their noses. I'm just disagreeing that there is any scientific or physics-based rationale for the practice.

Omaha Facial Plastic Surgeon

Post-op regimen

Each surgeon has a different post-operative protocol, but the use of tape and massage following surgery is fairly common. I would continue to diligently follow your surgeon's post-op instructions and continue regular follow up. Tip sensation usually returns over 2-3 months following surgery but can take up to a year for some people.

Mark Been, MD
Barrington Facial Plastic Surgeon

My surgeon has asked me to tape my nose 2 weeks after rhinoplasty

Every surgeon has a preferred protocol. There are no scientific studies that actually show taping to be of any benefit.

In my practice, I tape the nose during the first week after the procedure, and that is it. I would however agree that you should follow your surgeon's instructions as he may have some anecdotal evidence to support his protocol.

Hope that helps.

Tip sensation

Tip sensation can vary depending on if you had an open or closed procedure and typically takes time before it recovers. Swelling can also affect sensation and you are still in the early post operative period. Taping can help with swelling and this could in turn help with sensation. Best of luck, MMT

Two weeks result after Rhinoplasty

Hi Cassie,
Looking at your pictures you should be so happy since the result looks so good.Its individual preference taping the nose or moulding with gentle massage.I like it and I do advise and it at times help.
I would think you should stick to the advise of the surgeon who has given you such good results.
Sensation over the tip also return soon.
Wish you all the best

Taping after rhinoplasty

It is not uncommon to have tape on the nose after rhinoplasty. This may help to decrease postoperative swelling, but ultimately it will take months for the swelling to go down and tip sensation to return. Continue to follow your surgeon's instructions.

Taping of nose after rhinoplasty

It is not unusual to tape the nose after rhinoplasty.  The length of time to do this may vary by individual and the preference of the surgeon.  It cannot really be taped too long and 2 weeks is not excessive.  It can take 6-12 months for the healing to occur and the feeling at the tip to return.  

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon

2 weeks post op Rhinoplasty, my surgeon has told me to tape my nose every night & press on my nose to continue.

When the volume of the nose is reduced in a case like yours, it is essential to help the skin drape smoothly and completely over the remaining underlying structures. Post-op taping and splinting is essential. Be patient and follow your doctor's instructions