Is it possible to reduce the size and pronounced curve of the nose ala? (Photos)

Is there a way to reduce the size of the nose ala. I have a very defined line that I dislike and the flesh itself is very fat and obvious. It really spoils my face, is there a way to make it subtle and delicate? How much would such a procedure cost, and will it be very obvious?

Tip Plasty

Thanks for submitting your photo. You will benefit from a tip plasty which will reduce the size of your nose when the lateral part of your cartilage will be corrected. Please consult with a board certified plastic surgeon.

Turkey Plastic Surgeon

#rhinoplasty

HiIt is difficult to appreciate exactly what you are referring to and obviously and in person consultation with me would help.  My impression of your question is that you don't like the fullness of the ala region below the groove.  This is caused by the lateral part of the cartilage that defines the tip and can be reduced and thinned with a tip rhinoplasty.  This avoids the longer recovery and bruising and swelling that comes with a full rhinoplasty which is where the nasal bones are thinned. If you are worried about the width of the base of the nose this can be achieved with an ala base reduction in addition. I hope this helps.RegardsDamien

Rhinoplasty options

Projecting the tip of your nose (making your tip taller) will reduce the flare of your nostrils but not significantly reduce the width.  Alar base reduction using incisions around your nostrils will be necessary to significantly reduce both the width and the flare of your nostrils.  Consultation with a rhinoplasty specialist will give you a better sense of the surgical options available.  

Donald B. Yoo, MD

Rhinoplasty

Hello and thank you for your question. There are several ways to accomplish this.  In order to provide the best advice, an in-person evaluation of your entire nose is advisable.  Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and not just a computer animation system. The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD