Pregnancy and implants?

If I have cohesive silicone gel implants. Could this potentially subject my child (if I decide to have one in 8-10ish years time) to toxic substances? I read that traces of heavy metals such as platinum and also silicone were found in breast feeding mothers with implants. Also worried about my body leaching chemicals from the implants to the child

Silicone gel implants and breastfeeding risk

Silicone implants are among the most studied and safe medical devices available. There is no documented risk to a breast feeding child from silicone augmentation. Safe breast feeding post augmentation has been demonstrated by countless women the world over for many years.However, it is important to remember that for those patients in whom worry/doubt persists, there exists a second option. Saline implants are equally safe and (for some patients) offer the reassurance of a saline or saltwater fill.Additionally, patients should be aware that pregnancy (and the associated breast changes...swelling, sagging etc.) can compromise the aesthetic appearance of an augmented breast.As always, discuss your concerns with a board certified plastic surgeon. 

Westchester Plastic Surgeon

Pregnancy and implants?

Some women, who never had breast surgery, are naturally unable to breastfeed, and some variations of breast augmentation may make it more likely that you are unable to breastfeed, but most women with breast augmentations are able to successfully breastfeed. Breast implants have been extensively studied and pose no medical risk to your baby. I would suggest you find a plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and ideally a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) that you trust and are comfortable with. If you live outside of the United States, the surgeon should ideally be a member of the International Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ISAPS). You should discuss your concerns with that surgeon in person.
Robert Singer, MD FACS
La Jolla, California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Risks with breastfeeding?

I would say as far as we know now, there doesn't seem to be any significant risk associated with silicon implants and breastfeeding. That knowledge might possibly change in 8-10 years, but I doubt it. However I think more importantly you need to assess the relative risk to your (potential future) child of this very remote possibility. I like to ask patients to compare their current concerns to the well known dangers of driving a child around in a car, or the damage the child is going to do to themselves with Bundy and Coke on their 18th birthday, or the traces of heavy metals or silicon found in many, many processed foods, that the child will be eating for many years after they stop breastfeeding. I don't want to tell you flat out not to worry, but I think you should base your concerns on the currently accepted science and mathematical probability. Best of wishes.

Mark Baldwin, MBBS
Melbourne Plastic Surgeon

Choose a saline implant

If these are concerns, get saline implants.  They can give you an excellent outcome without the additional issues.The choice between saline and silicone is one that requires a complex discussion of all of the advantages and disadvantages of both implants.  The issues to be considered are safety, density, mobility, rippling, rupture rate, consequences of rupture, detection of rupture, need for follow-up care, cost of follow-up, appearance, feel, sensation of heaviness, radio-density, mammograms, and costs, among other things.  There are advantages and disadvantages of both products.  The decision will ultimately be up to you based on what is appropriate for your particular situation.  Beautiful results can be obtained with either implant.