Permanent solution for eyebags/shadows? (photos)

Hi! I've had eye bags since I was little and I'm sick of always looking tired and sick What are the options for me? and an estimate of the possible costs within Australia?

Fillers

I WOULD TRY FILLERS BEFORE GOING IN AND DOING SURGERY , THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN FAT TRANSFER AND FILLERS ARE FILLER ARE LESS INVASIVE AND CAN LAST 6-9 MONTHS SOMETIMES UP TO A YEAR DEPENDING ON WHICH ONES. FAT TRANSFERS ARE USUALLY SURGICALLY DONE WITH LIPO AND TRANSFERRED TO ANOTHER AREA OF THE BODY. A FAT TRANSFER CAN ALSO BE DONE THROUGH A LOCAL AFTER SURGERY FOR A REPEAT FAT INJECTION. FAT INJECTIONS OR TRANSFERS ARE USUALLY MORE PERMANENT. THIS IS SOMETHING THAT YOU MAY WANT TO SPEAK TO YOUR DOCTOR ABOUT IN A CONSULTATION AND SEE WHAT YOUR OPTIONS ARE.

Fillers

An HA filler is going to be your best option. I like Restylane but I also use Belotero on some patients. Schedule a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon to discuss and to get a quote. 
My best,
Dr. Sheila Nazarian
@drsheilanazarian on Instagram

Sheila S. Nazarian, MD

Fillers

Thank you for your question. My recommendation would be an injectable filler such as Restylane or Restylane Lyft that would help conceal the bags and restore volume where you appear to be hollow. This is not a permanent method but generally safe, predictable, can be modified, and lasts a long time.

Dr. Daniel Ritacca

Daniel J. Ritacca, MD
Chicago Oculoplastic Surgeon

Eye bags since childhood

Thank you for your question about your lower lid blepharoplasty.
  • In those with fullness under their eyes since youth, the issue is usually a slight excess of fat.
  • The best approach, for me, is a very careful trimming of the fat surgically with an incision inside the lower lid.
  • However surgeons who remove too much fat will leave the lower lid hollow.
  • The other choice is injection of filler along the bone of the lower lid - to conceal the fat.
  • It can cause bulges and it is not permanent.
  • This is a very delicate injection and should only be done by a specialist - a plastic, oculoplastic or facial plastic surgeon in my opinion.
  • I suggest you see such a specialist to discuss the pros and cons of these two approaches.
Always consult a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Best wishes. Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Eye Bags Treatment

What you have is significant fat pads under your lower eyelids, and these are the ones that create the "Eye bags". The best treatment for this is a lower Blepharoplasty, where I can remove permanently the Fat pads and close the tissue beneath them so they won't show up ever again. This can be done easily under general anesthesia. Hope this answers your question. Have a good day.

Luis Pedroza, MD
Colombia Facial Plastic Surgeon

Lower lid bags

You have a modest amount of visible fat.  what you notice more is the hollow area below this in the tear trough.  At this point you should do well with some HA filler such as Restylane or Belotero.  These will smooth out the area so that you shouldn't notice the fat.  It will also help with the dark appearance, and should last at least a year.  
IN the future you may benefit from a lower lid bleph with fat repositioning where that fat is moved down into the tear trough.      

John J. Martin, Jr., MD
Coral Gables Oculoplastic Surgeon

Eye Bags

Great question. Many options for someone young like you. Non-surgical options will include fillers. Fillers in this area must be performed by a surgeon with experience and knowledge of the anatomy around your eyes. I prefer to use Belotero near the eyelids because it is less likely to cause that bluish discoloration sometimes associated with fillers in this area, and also it attracts less water. If you are leaning more towards a more permanent solution, you can have a transconjunctival blepharoplasty to remove some of the protruding bags with an incision inside your eyelid. Older people with excess eyelid skin would be better candidates for a conventional transpalpebral bleh with an external incision just under the lower eyelid eyelashes, which will allow for some skin to be removed as well.