My left breast is very different to my right. Is this normal? (Photo)

Hi I'm currently 19days PO... My left breast is very different to my right. They feel the same to touch. I have 520cc over the muscle. My surgeon says give it time... Is this normal please help!!

Uneven Breasts

The two #breasts commonly heal quite differently. One breast may #swell more, feel more uncomfortable, or have a different initial #shape. Healing usually takes 2-3 months, but it may take up to a full year to see your final result. It takes time for the skin and muscle to stretch and relax around the new #implant. After complete healing, they will be more similar and natural. You must have patience, but if this causes concern, ask questions of your #boardcertified plastic surgeon.

Totally normal

It is totally normal for each breast to heal and drop/settle at a different rate. You are still very early in your recovery. For now, be patient and kind to yourself as your body heals. Best, Dr. Nazarian

Sheila S. Nazarian, MD

My left breast is different from my right

Thank you for your question. You are indeed right that one breast is larger than the other  as one would expect from your preoperative photos and the same size implants placed. It is however, far to early in your postoperative period to really assess the degree of  long term differences between your two breasts.  Allow some time to pass for implant settling and stretching of the skin and you may be pleasantly surprised with your results. Best of luck

Bruce Landon, MD

19 days post op

Thank you for the question and photos. It does appear that your breasts had different shape/positioning and possible different size before surgery. You can expect to keep your pre op differences with BA using same size implants.

Initially, if the breasts were different volumes, one may look higher or stay tighter, longer due to different surrounding tissue, but they eventually appear more even. I recommend that you wait until 6 months post op, when you are fully healed and settled, to evaluate your results.

All the best

Breast asymmetry

You breasts were different to begin with, and the result is the expected one for a simple breast augmentation with that starting point. Personally, I would have recommended a different approach with an uplift, at least judging from the pictures that you posted.

Ciro Adamo, PhD, MD
London Plastic Surgeon

3 weeks post op, some advices:

Thanks for sharing your concerns with us.

Its too early to talk about results at this time of your post op. In my practice, after performing a Breast Augmentation I recommend to my patients to limit the movement of the arms for two weeks. After that, you can move your arms taking care and always with common sense.
In this regard, it's not advisable to carry heavy weights to prevent the implant out of position, and allow the formation of the physiological capsule around the implant, also to avoid pain and breast swelling.

Respectfully,
Dr. Emmanuel Mallol.-

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

Left breast is very differenct

Thanks for your question.

I cannot sure your breasts were same or not before the surgery.

It they were different, they must be different after the surgery, too.

For telling it is normal or not, we have to see the preop photos of you breasts.

Good luck and have a wonderful day.

Joo Hyuk Lee, MD
South Korea Plastic Surgeon

Asymmetry of breasts

You left breast WAS very different before surgery than your right.  Now, with implants, you're simply seeing the same thing plus implants.   Be sure to discuss with your own surgeon about how this applies to you, and whether they have any special concerns in your case.

Breast asymmetry

Hi, cassandr1988

It seems like you are healing well from your breast augmentation.

You are only 19 days post-op; you are still very early in your recovery course.  Please allow your implants/breasts settle for next couple months.

You had some asymmetry prior to surgery. Even after implants settle, you will have mild asymmetry of breast shape/size.

If you have any concern, your plastic surgeon will the best resource to answer your questions.
Best regards.

Early asymmetry

Sorry to hear of your concern.  As plastic surgeons we do bilateral surgery all the time - left and right breast surgery, arm surgery, thigh surgery, etc...   The patient's experience from one side to the other is frequently different.  One may hurt more, swell more, bruise more, or look different.  Surgeons tend to be righty or lefty and in breast surgery, that can influence how the pocket is developed.  Patients tend to favor either their right or left side.  Use of the arm and chest muscle can certainly influence the rate at which at implant settles into the pocket.  Even dependent positioning, like sleeping on one side or another, can affect the amount of swelling this early after surgery.  At less than three weeks, it is simply too early to make any judgment about your final result. While it is difficult, try to be patient.  You may find that as the result matures, your symmetry may improve.  Good luck!

Larry Lickstein, MD
Fairfax Plastic Surgeon