Is this normal? The picture on the left is now 5 weeks post op on the right is a picture before I had lipo. (photos)

I know the response will be to consult doctor & I have asked about it & says that it will take months to get my results - but every website I go on to read about other experiences majority say at 6 weeks you get 90 percent of your result. I have been wearing my compression garment every single day and also got 6 ultrasound treatment after procedure Getting a little depressed paying all this money to look worse than I oringally was Is this normal? What should I do from here?

Is this normal? The picture on the left is now 5 weeks post op on the right is a picture before I had lipo.

Hello dear, thanks for your question and provided information as well.. This is the surgical procedure that revolutionized cosmetic surgery becoming one of the most performed cosmetic procedures. Subcutaneous tissue or fat is removed in order to contour the body in a way that is harmonious and pleasing to the senses. It can be performed in almost all regions of the body such as the neck, chin, abdomen, back, buttocks, thighs, arms and ankles. Usually done through a small incision in the skin through which a cannula connected to a vacuum is applied, it can be performed alone or in combination with other procedures. After liposuction your body is going to be really swollen for at least 2 to 4 months after your surgery. It is important for you to wear your compression garment for at least 6 months, the first 3 months 24/7 and then the last 3 months at least 12 hours per day for your body get use to not having the faja for so many time. When you remove it, your body can get swollen and also you can have pain. Remember to also compress your body to prevent a seroma which is an accumulation of liquid that has to be drained, it is hard to touch and also really painful. Bruises are completely normal for almost 3 months from surgery, that’s why is better for you to use a bruising cream and apply it all over your body 3 times a day. To prevent bad circulation and swollen legs, use compression socks. Brazilian butt lift can be performed with the same procedure and for a month it will be swollen and it will drop a little bit without losing it’s shape if you use your garment.. If you’re going to perform liposuction on your inner, outer, anterior, lateral, postetior thighs, be careful and consult with your surgeon what’s best for you, sometimes we have more extra skin than fat, that can cause severe sagginess on our legs, which can be only be reversed performing a thigh lift!

Results

You are still healing and need to give yourself time. After about 6 months from surgery, if you don't see the results you desire, I would suggest meeting with a board certified plastic surgeon and discussing other options like a tummy tuck. You may have some loose skin and prominent abdominal muscles which cannot be addressed with liposuction.

Connie Hiers, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon