Does this look normal 6 days post labiaplasty? (Photos)

I've read a lot of people's experiences and My body seem to be having a much harder time healing than most. It's still extremely inflamed, I can't walk- only waddle to the bathroom, and I have constant new blood spotting. I'm wondering if anyone has had similar experience and whether this amount of swelling is okay?!! Also is it okay for me to continue icing it or will this now slow down the healing process. Thanks

Now that's alot of swelling

You are on the extreme end of swollen 1 week out after labiaplasty. Nothing is broken and nothing appears infected. In carefully selected situations, a short course of steroids will bring down this swelling with lightning speed. Discuss this with your surgeon as there are side effects to consider.

Does this look normal 6 days post-op labiaplasty?

Dear Garden Gnome,

Thank you for writing in with your question and sharing your photos.  You do have a lot of swelling at this point and comfort care is the number one thing for you to do right now.  As my colleagues have recommended, anti-inflammatory meds (ibuprofen) and arnica montana will help with swelling and bruising.  Use a perineal squirt bottle while you urinate to help keep the urine from burning the suture lines and you can use this in the shower to help wash the area (blot dry only).  You can do Sitz baths twice a day for 10 minutes and get some over-the-counter numbing and anti-septic spray like Dermaplast (used after childbirth).  Also, a donut cushion (also used after childbirth) will help with sitting more comfortably for the next 2 weeks until the swelling goes down.

In about 4-6 weeks it will look much better and by 3-6 months out all of the residual swelling will be gone and you will be able to truly see how things look.  Overall, the edges look okay and I agree with my colleagues that you will have good results in the end.

I hope this information is helpful and speedy recovery!

Sincerely,

Troy R. Hailparn, MD, FACOG

Cosmetic Gynecology Center of San Antonio

Troy Hailparn, MD
San Antonio OB/GYN

Labiaplasty incision still very swollen, painful after 6 days; WHAT TO DO??

Though still in the "Frankenstein phase" you shouldn't be this swollen at 6 days post-op. You have had a linear resection labiaplasty, and the excessive swelling (? causes by persistent bleeding/hematoma under the skin) has modestly separated the skin closure of your incision. It LOOKS like it has deep sutures to hold it together, and I think all will heal well and look OK in the end, but here is what I'd suggest for now:

1. Keep your hands off the incision line (I think you are doing that, from the respectful way you've handled the tissues with your photos...)

2. Take Ibuprofen 600 mg. every 6-8 hours with food for the next 3-5 days, until the swelling has dissipated significantly.

3. Do not touch or remove the "clot" that has formed over the incision. This is "...nature's dressing."

4. Communicate with your surgeon and be examined; ask him or her if they feel you have an infection and need antibiotics. You probably don't (unusual after labiaplasty), but important to be evaluated for this!

5. Stop icing. I know it's still swollen, but icing benefits wane after the first 4-5 days. Best to minimize any "handling" of the area...

Michael P Goodman, MD

Davis, CA, USA

Does this look normal 6 days post-labiaplasty?

Thank you for sharing your question.  Though your results do show more than average soft tissue swelling, your trim results still appear appropriate and without wound healing or separation issues.  I would continue with pelvic elevation, cold compresses, arnica montana, bromelain, and anti-inflammatory medications to help expeditiously resolve your swelling.  Hope this helps.

Labiaplasty 6 days post op

Dear GG:

Thanks for sharing...and I know you are probably uneasy about the appearance of your labia 6 days out, but I I think if you just sit back and don't pull or tug on the area you are going to do well.  Most of the surgeons on this site will tell you we see botched and poorly performed labiaplaties on RSelf everyday but I think for the most part once your swelling goes down and the incision line heals I think you are going to be fine! None of us know the final outcome until that day comes 5-6 weeks from now but overall I have had patients with even more swelling than you have and once the swelling subsided they are happy.  Time will tell but as they say I think time is on your side.

John R Miklos MD

Atlanta ~ Bevelry Hills ~  Dubai