Why is my nipple higher than the other one after a breast lift (mastopexy) without implant? (Photos)

I am 9 days post of from my bilateral mastopexy. On day 5 I underwent another surgery to remove a hematoma from my L) breast. I have noticed that one of my nipples is higher than the other..I will post a picture so that you can see. It is possible that I had a higher nipple to begin with but never noticed. Will this go back to normal? I'm not seeing my surgeon for a few weeks and am concerned about this. Thanks

Why is my nipple higher than the other one after a breast lift (mastopexy) without implant?

Hello dear, thanks for your question and provided information as well.. The breasts may lose their elasticity and firmness which can be caused by different factors such as pregnancy, massive weight loss, lactation and aging. To reaffirm the breasts and restore the natural look your surgeon can perform a mastopexy or breast lift. A breast lift restores a firmer, perkier, and more aesthetically pleasing shape to sagging breasts. This not only can improve a patient’s appearance by restoring her youthful, feminine proportions, but  also help bras and swimsuits fit more comfortably and attractively. By removing excess, stretched out skin, reshaping the breast tissue, and raising the nipple & areola into a more forward position, a cosmetic surgeon can create a more youthful breast contour. Stretched, large areolae can also be reduced during breast lift surgery, creating an overall better proportioned, natural looking breast, Actually the perkiness on a person or another, depends on patients skin and breast tissue!

Uneven nipples

It is not unusual for one nipple to be higher than the other and you will have swelling. This will settle and we would normally place the nipple at the same heights. It can take 3-6 months before the final results can be assessed. See your PS. 

Gary L. Ross, MBChB, FRCS
Manchester Plastic Surgeon

Asymmetry after breast lift

Firstly, you are too early in the process to make a dtermination regarding your symmetry. And, this is icmplicated by the hematoma that makes the swelling progress at much different rates.  The other consideration is the asymmetry of the breast crease that isn't clearly visible on the pre-op photo.  The nipple is usually set in relation to this and it is different side to side. Continue to follow up with your surgeon to ensure that you progress as planned.  Best of luck, Vincent Marin, MD San Diego Plastic Surgeon

Vincent P. Marin, MD

Uneven nipple position after breast lift.

Your pre operative photos show that your left nipple is higher than your right and it appears your left breast is slightly larger.  There remains a slight asymmetry in your post operative photos.  You are early in your healing, which may be prolonged slightly by your left breast hematoma, so I would allow 2-3 months for all your tissues to relax and then revisit this issue.  There is no perfect symmetry in nature and plastic surgeons do not create it.  If the amount of asymmetry still concerns you after 4 months your surgeon may be able to do a small revision under local anesthesia to make it better.

Too early for the result

Dear Patient, First of all thank you very much for your answer. Regarding your pictures, we may see a little asymmetry on your breasts nipples. Definitely post-op breast is swollen now so it may cause asymmetry. Try to check it after 3 weeks, do not make any early decisions and stay in touch with your surgeon.With greetings from Istanbul, TT.

Tunc Tiryaki, MD
Turkey Plastic Surgeon