How often do you recommend a breast MRI for women with silicone implants?

Hello. How often do you recommend a breast MRI for women with silicon implants? Here in Australia I've read 3 years after surgery then every 2 years after that. Do you agree? Thank you

Breast Implant Revision/Breast Augmentation/Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/ Silicone Implants/Breast Implant Revision Surgery

I appreciate your question. As you stated, the FDA suggest an MRI at 3 years and then ever 2 years.  I would recommend that you follow up with your surgeon so he/she can help guide you with your decision. The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam. Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery. Best of luck! Dr. Schwartz Board Certified Plastic Surgeon Director-Beverly Hills Breast and Body Institute #RealSelf100Surgeon

Hello there 
I think that is excessive to say the least .Presuming you have modern implants with the safer denser gel then you are dealing with a very strong and reliable device .Your risk of rupture at 10 years is likely to be under 10% and the denser gel tends to be contained by the scar capsule in any event .MRIs are expensive so you have to take this into account as well .Also they are not infallible . I have seen an implant reported to be ruptured on MRI that just had a simple fold in it .
So in short I think 3 years is way too soon and you can afford to defer it well beyond that if it is s modern implant design .

Terrence Scamp, MBBS, FRACS
Gold Coast Plastic Surgeon

MRI for Silicone Implants

The FDA suggests an MRI at 3 years and then every 2 years, as you stated. However, this is a suggestion, not a requirement. Be sure to have follow up appointments with your surgeon, and let your surgeon help you decide. Good luck.

Miguel Delgado, MD

MRI monitoring of silicone breast implants

Here in the United States, the FDA has made similar recommendations for surveillance of silicone breast implants.... First MRI should be done 3 years after implantation and then continued every other year.  Personally, i think it's a bit of overkill, particularly in the early years, since I have never seen an implant rupture within the first 7 years of implantation.  That said,  safety is important and I make sure my patients are aware of the recommendation.

Jane Weston, MD