If I lost pregnancy weight could I get just liposuction or do I need abodominoplasty with abdominal wall repair? (Photos)

I had my 2nd child 7 months ago & I am roughly 20kg (about 45pounds) heavier than my pre pregnancy weight. If I was to lose this weight would I only need liposuction to contour my shape to regain what I had before babies, or has my skin stretched too much & my muscles been damaged too much that I need an abdominoplasty? Thankyou for any advice

Tummy tuck post pregnancy

Hi,

Thanks for a good question.

Liposuction will address excess fat , as will weight loss, and if excess skin does not fully rebound then a tummy tuck is needed. The abdominal muscles will tend to move back to the correct position after pregnancy but if they have not done so after 12 months , then the solution is likely a tummy tuck to repair them

In short weight loss and liposuction will deal with excess fat, but a tummy tuck may be needed if there is still a gap in the muscle or excess skin after the weight loss

I hope that helps

Jeremy Hunt

Liposuction after I lose pregnancy weight?

Thank you for asking about your liposuction and tummy tuck.

• Yours is a very reasonable question.
  • Your photos are very useful -
  • If you lose your pregnancy weight, you will probably not need liposuction -
  • But you will need a tummy tuck because the muscles are stretched and your skn loose.

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Abdominoplasty will be better option

After reaching to your desired weight goals, the excess fat may reduce but the skin and muscles will also need extra help. Liposuction alone will not be able to fix all three layers of abdomen (skin, fat, muscles). An abdominoplasty will not only fix the extra fat, but it will also restore your abdominal muscles and lose skin to its normal state so that you have a flat tummy. You should plan this surgery when you feel your family is complete as further pregnancy will affect the results of any procedure (liposuction/abdominoplasty). All the best.

R. K. Mishra, M.Ch, DNB
India Plastic Surgeon

Abdominoplasty/Liposuction

Many patients come to us with this same question.  Liposuction can sculpt and de-fat an area, but it cannot remove loose skin.  As you move closer toward your goal weight you will have a better idea of how your skin is retracting.  You would need an in person examination to determine if you need muscle repair and to determine the best plan for you.  Common areas of liposuction include, flanks, hips, arms, medial thighs, lateral thighs, back and bra area.  Many times liposuction will also be combined with abdominoplasty for total body transformation. 

David Stoker, MD

Lose the weight first

You should lose your weight first and then consider surgery.Generally after pregnancy a tummy tuck is more beneficial.     My Best,  Dr Commons

Losing weight 1st will create a clearer picture.

I would always recommend that you get back as close to your pre pregnancy weight as possible before moving ahead with any procedure.  Once your weight is lower, it would be much easier to determine what procedure or procedures would give you your best result.  Only an in person examination, with evaluation of your tissues, could truly tell you what you would need.  During your weight loss, see a board certified plastic surgeon for a consultation so you can start gaining information about what may be needed in the future.  Best of luck.