Does Kybella treatment for submental fat on the face/chin actually remove a SIGNIFICANT amount of fat from that area?

I have been looking at before/after photos of patients who have had this done and it seems like this treatment does not really make a noticeable difference to the amount of fat on a person's face. I dont know much about the procedure..Would I be correct in saying that?

Kybella Disolves Fat Under The Chin

Kybella is an FDA-approved fat-dissolving injectable composed of deoxycholic acid – a substance that is naturally produced by the body. It is used to dissolve moderate to severe submental fat deposits below the chin. I am not sure which photos you were looking at, but the results can be quite dramatic. Please take a look at the photos on my website. Consulting with a board-certified dermatologist will allow her to evaluate your double chin and decide if Kybella is right for you.

Baltimore Dermatologic Surgeon

Coolmini or Kybella

Kybella is an amazing product to reduce fat under the chin. If there is a lot of fat on the area you can start with coolmini, which reduces 20%-25% of the fat on the area. Please see a board certified dermatologist to evaluate you. Best, Dr.Green.

Kybella vs Coolmini vs Liposuction

Fantastic question! Good to know all of your options.
There are multiple factors that go into answering this question...
If there is a lot of fat, liposuction is your best bet. This can be done in-office under local anesthesia.
If surgery is not something you are comfortable with, Coolsculpting would be your best bet financially... as long as the Coolsculpting applicator fits and you are okay with more time to see full results (than liposuction). If your jaw is too small or the amount of fat too little, the CoolMini may not fit.
Lastly, if you have a small amount of fat and the CoolMini applicator doesn't fit your face, I would go with Kybella. There is a significant recovery period with Kybella and the product is not cheap. That is why I reserve it for people with a small amount of submental fat.
All three will give you some skin tightening.
My best,
Dr. Nazarian
@drsheilanazarian on Instagram

Sheila S. Nazarian, MD

Submental Chin Fat Treatments

KYBELLA® is used to improve the appearance and profile of moderate to severe fat below the chin --often referred to as a “double chin .

The most common side effects of KYBELLA®include : swelling, bruising, pain, numbness, redness, and areas of hardness in the treatment area. Similar to any other injectable treatment, this can easily be minimized by avoiding over-the-counter medications and supplements such as Ibuprofen ( Motrin or Advil), baby aspirin, fish oils, Vitamin E and green tea.

We also offer an analgesic for mild discomfort and swelling and send patients home with ice packs and a chin strap to improve the recovery time!

#chinfattreatments   #Kybellafattreatments   #KybellavsLipo

Kybella provides results after multiple sessions

Kybella often requires multiple treatment sessions for full results to be seen, but after all sessions have been completed most patients are happy with the results. If you are looking for significant results after a single session, liposuction may be a better option for you. I recommend visiting a board-certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon for an in-person consultation to see if Kybella would be able to get you the results you want. 

Sabrina Fabi, MD
San Diego Dermatologic Surgeon

Kybella for chin fat reduction

Kybella can definitely remove fat (as has been shown in studies using pictures and MRI [it's a form of X-Ray]).
The key thing is to see a doctor who has experience in surgical and non-surgical fat reductions techniques as not all patients can be good candidates for Kybella and my benefit from NeckTite instead.
I hope that helps and best regards.

Mariusz Sapijaszko, MD, FRCPC
Edmonton Dermatologic Surgeon

Kybella can achieve great results for patients

Kybella injections can significantly decrease the amount of fat below the chin.  Make sure your Dermatologist has plenty of experience with injectables - and as much experience with Kybella as possible, despite it being a newly-available drug.  In the hands of skilled physician, most patients will have great results with this therapy.

Jill C. Fichtel, MD
Columbus Dermatologic Surgeon

Kybella for submental fat

Thank you for your question.  Kybella is only indicated for the submental fullness and not on the face or jowl region.  I have seen quite a reduction in the submental fullness with the use of Kybella.  I would recommend that you visit with a board certified plastic surgeon in your area if you are interested in learning more.

Kybella removes significant chin fat

Double chin fat can be treated by Kybella. It does it without surgery. However, it doesn't eliminate loose skin. 

Daryl K. Hoffman, MD
San Jose Plastic Surgeon

Kybella's reduction of fat

Kybella has been used in offices more recently.  It is possible that the physician's personal patient images, compared to the company's patient images, have not had as many treatments. The recommended number of treatments can be between 2-4 treatments and the time between office treatments is usually 4 weeks. The larger the neck and fat in the submental region, the more time it will take to reduce with Kybella.  The fat reduction is gradual but can be significant if Kybella is used correctly and safely. Hope this helps.  Thanks for your question.

Grant Stevens, MD