Juvederm Volbella - lumpy & sore lips

I had 0.8mL Volbella injected into my lips 2 months ago & I'm unhappy with the results. My lips are still lumpy - visible mostly when I smile or part my lips. When I press on my lips they still feel sore where the Volbella is. This has ruined the shape and look of my lips. How long does Volbella last? Does it wear off evenly, or will some parts wear off faster than others? Will my lips go back to exactly how they were pre-Volbella? I will not have it dissolved as I'm now pregnant.

Volbella last one year but can be removed

This filler made by Juvederm has got an excellent reputation, the result you have maybe (without knowing or seeing the procedure) due to the injector. I suggest you have a consultation with your injector and possibly have this corrected. An enzyme can dissolve the filler. All the best, Dr Davin S. Lim

Brisbane Dermatologist

Volbella for lips causing lumpiness

Once the Volbella wears out, your lips go back to where they were. I would see your physician injector in the meantime right away  as there are many ways to correct lumpiness, you shouldn't have to tolerate this for months. The lumps are best avoided, and this is often technique dependent.

Benjamin Barankin, MD
Toronto Dermatologic Surgeon

Volbella lumps

You may want to just wait it out as results tend to last for up to a year. You could return to your injector to see if they can massage away any lumps for you, although this may not be as effective. Please let them know you are pregnant.

The product should dissolve over the next 8 months and you should get your natural lips back.

Thank you for your question,

The product should dissolve over the next 8 months and you should get your natural lips back. If after this time you still have bumps in your lips (you will no longer be pregnant), speak with your injector about treatment.

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Juvederm Volbella in lips

Juvederm Volbella is not currently FDA approved in the U.S. but it has begun FDA studies for future use. With that being said it is a hyaluronic acid filler, but has a larger particle size than other similar fillers and as such, it is supposed to last longer - up to 2 years. In my experience all fillers in the lips will last a shorter amount of time though simply because the lips move a lot and so the filler dissipates faster. If you can't get the filler removed, that's fine. Over time your body will metabolize it and it will go away. Also, keep your hands away from it and try not to press on the area a lot. When you do this you can inadvertently create scar tissue there and that's not what you want.

"This answer has been solicited without seeing this patient and cannot be held as true medical advice, but only opinion. Seek in-person treatment with a trained medical professional for appropriate care."