Juvederm lumps after a week? Is this abnormal?

I recently got Juverderm ultra for the first time, 8 days ago. One side of my lip looks the slightest bit more plump than the other, and this is due to two small bumps that I have. I have tried massaging them away and they're not overly visible. But is this normal after 8 days? I don't want to get cortisone either. How do I get rid of them?

Hello tayloralexandria,

By 8 days most of the swelling will be gone, but it can take up to 2 weeks.  At this point I'd wait a few more days until considering anything.  At the end of two weeks, if the lumps are not visible but only able to be felt and there is still asymmetry, you can have the less full side injected a little more to even them out.  If the lumps are visible then you can receive an injection of hyaluronidase to remove the lumpy area.  When you do this it will remove the product in that area so you would need a touch up to even the lips out again.  

I hope this helps and good luck. 

The Woodlands Facial Plastic Surgeon

Juvederm for lips

You can gently massage the bumps but if you still have the bumps after two weeks, please return to your injector for assessment.

Martie Gidon, MD, FRCPC
Toronto Dermatologist

Lumps after juvederm in the lips

Palpable lumps or bumps are a common sequela from filler injections in the lips. Lumps that can be felt but not seen may create a fuller look due to swelling. Light massage can help to distribute swelling in the early period after injection; be careful because aggressive massage can lead to bruising. Give the tissue 10-14 days for swelling to reduce before making final judgement on your results.  If there are visible lumps or continued asymmetry, hyaluronidase can be used to spot reduce some of the filler.  Make sure to always see an expert injector in your area .

Kyle Coleman, MD
New Orleans Dermatologic Surgeon

Juvederm lumps after one week

Juvederm can often get swollen or lumpy in the beginning.  If it is still lumpy after two weeks you can have Vitrase injected by an expert to dissolve the lumps.  Best, Dr. Green