Considering jaw reduction through botox - what are the chances it will affect my smile?

I have a heavy jaw and have heard about jaw reduction through botox. I read a few reviews and a lot seemed positive but some had negative effects on their smile. Im terrified of this as it will take awhile to wear off and know it would affect my self esteem. My question is how often does this bad side effect happen? Is it a rare occurrence? Are there ways to reduce this chance?

Botox for the masseter

Thank you for your question refresh26. Botox is a purified protein used to address wrinkles associated with facial expression. In the lower face Botox can be placed in the masseter muscle to thin the muscle and provide a heart shaped face. Any time Botox is injected there is a possibility that it will spread to nearby muscles. This is what happens when some people experience droopy eyelids when receiving Botox around the eyes. Muscles nearby the masseter include the risorius, zygomaticus major, and zygomaticus minor. These muscles pull the corners of the mouth upward when one smiles. If Botox spreads to these muscles an asymmetric smile can result. Such side effects are not common. Please consult with a doctor for specific recommendations. Good luck!

Encino Physician

Facial slimming and the potential risks

Facial slimming with Botox works very well when done by experienced doctor. 
As with any procedure there are potential side effects but there are not common at all.
Please review your concerns with your doctor prior to having the treatment.
Best regards and I hope this helps, Dr. Sapijaszko.

Mariusz Sapijaszko, MD, FRCPC
Edmonton Dermatologic Surgeon

Not likely, if your Botox is performed by a skilled and experienced injector

If injected by a skilled practitioner with experience injecting the masseter muscles, the risk of any adverse effects is low. Usually about 12-20 units per side is sufficient to slim down the masseters and create a more narrow jawline.

I hope this answer is helpful! Best of luck. 

Tracy Leong, MD
San Diego Dermatologic Surgeon

Should Be OK

The masseter and smile muscles are well distant from each other. Treating one will not affect the other.

Considering jaw reduction through botox - what are the chances it will affect my smile? Perth, Australia

There is a role for botox and jaw reduction but the indications are relatively specific. It should be focused on the masseter muscles that insert into the angle of the jaw. The further forward along the jaw line that the injections are placed the closer you come to the muscles that control the corners of the mouth and therefore your smile. Localised injections in the right location are unlikely to change the smile but there will always be a small risk. The benefits of wrinkle relaxers are that they ware off over time so any adverse change would be temporary. 
Regards
Dr Guy Watts