Infected stitch causing problems?

Hi, I'm 14 weeks post op. I recently was treated for a small infection in the stitch under my breast. My doctor uses dissolvable stitches. Today I squeezed it and some pus and blood came out! I'm stressing I have made it worse. Is it normal to have infection after these stitches and will it cause capsular con?? Thank you for any answers as I'm highly anxious about this:)

Irritated sutures

Hi - this is not uncommon.  Sometimes the dissolvable sutures near the skin surface irritate the skin before they've had a chance to fully dissolve.  It is usually just a very superficial problem and very unlikely to harm the underlying implant.  But, in saying that, you should still be checked out by your surgeon or at least your local GP.

Melbourne Plastic Surgeon

Stitch infection

Don't worry! A "suture abscess" is not an uncommon occurrence with absorbable sutures.  I would certainly advise you to relay this to your surgeon and be evaluated to be sure there is nothing more sinister developing.  However, if this is just related to your suture, this is a self-limited process that will heal with no serious consequences.  These sutures are not in proximity to the capsule and should not have any impact on incidence of capsular contracture.  Good luck! 

Stitch abcess

Suture infections are not unusual, but they need to be treated.  It is especially important that they are treated when there is an underlying breast implant, since you don't want spread of infection in to the implant pocket.  Contact your plastic surgeon for removal of the offending suture and topical/oral antibiotics to treat the infection aggressively.  I wish you the best.

Semira Bayati, MD, FACS

No

No, you should be fine. What you are experiencing is quite common. However, I always think it best to err on the side of caution so I would schedule an appointment with your surgeon so that he or she can assess your situation in person. Best, Dr. Nazarian

Sheila S. Nazarian, MD

Infected stitch causing problems?

I appreciate your question.

Since there has been a change in your post op course, please contact your surgeon so he/she can examine you and recommend the most appropriate treatment plan at this time.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.
Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

Infected stitch

If your infection is simply due to sutures that have not dissolved then you should find that with the appropriate course of action from your surgeon, this minor issue will resolve and not cause any long lasting complications.  Its not uncommon to have a suture that doesn't dissolve and they often "pop" to surface and cause a minor infection before clearing up.  Continue to follow your surgeons advice.