Why do my incisions look so different? (photos)

My right side incision is recovering quite well and it looks like a really thin line, not very pink and quite smooth. But my left side is quite bumpy and a bit dark at some spots. Why would that happen? Did I do something wrong?did I Stretch the scar or something? And what can I do to reduce it ?

Wound healing

Hi, wound healing can be quite variable, even on the same person.  The left side doesn't look infected or problematic & I'm sure will catch up to the right soon.  If it becomes red or painful then get checked by your surgeon.  All the best

Melbourne Plastic Surgeon

2 sides different

Hi there.  The issue with two sided surgery is that there is always slight differences between the two sides. Perfect symmetry is rare.However in your case it is likely the two scars will finish up very much the same if everything else is going along normally, so I wouldn't be concerned.I hope this helps.

Peter Callan, MBBS
Geelong Plastic Surgeon

Just remember that no two breasts ever look the same or heal at the same rate. Incisions typically tend to be raised and red and with time, will flatten and fade. Just give your body adequate time to heal to allow the scars to mature. Good luck!

Healing from surgery

How far out are you from surgery?  The photos you posted appear to be healing very well.  Keep in mind one side might heal a little differently than the other, this is normal.  As you get further out from surgery the scar will continue to fade and be less noticeable. Once you are 3 weeks out from surgery you can start to use scar creams and silicone sheeting to help the areas heal and fade faster.  I would suggest speaking with your surgeon to see what they recommend at their office. Good luck with surgery.

Francis Johns, MD
Greensburg Plastic Surgeon

Incisions that look different

Thanks for your photographs and question.  It is very normal for one incision to need a little more healing time than the other.  Looks like both incisions are healing well.  Be in touch with your PS for scar care.  Good luck.

Breast augmentation - incisions healing differently

Thank you for asking about your breast augmentation.

• It is normal for the two sides of the body to heal differently.
  • One side always heals better and faster.
  • At your next appointment, discuss your concern with your surgeon.
  • The slower side should catch up in healing with the other side, given time.

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Best wishes - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Breast incisions

Thank you for your question. Your incisions are both doing quite well in your photograghs. Variability in wound and/or incision healing is quite normal. Allow them to mature for a few months and then re evaluate. Talk to your surgeon about any likes or dislikes for topical scar therapy as they can be started. I think your incisions will heal nicely. Best of luck!

Bruce Landon, MD

Breast Augmentation Incisions

This may be normal. One breast will heal faster and differently than the other. I tell my patients it takes about 3 months to see your final result. 

Leo Lapuerta, MD

Difference in scar healing.

Hello and thank you for your question!

I agree that your right side incision is healing quite well. But I also think that your left side incision is healing just as normally. It is common for incisions to heal asymmetrically due to the nature of the procedure and the nature of being active every day - there is the possibility one could have been stretched at some point in time. It is healing well but I suggest it as a question for your plastic surgeon during the next post-op consultation. If it seems to become infected or worsens ask here again, or possibly call your surgeons nurse for further questions on scar care. 

Jaime Perez, MD
Breast Augmentation Specialist
Plastic Surgery Center of Tampa

Jaime Perez, MD

Different scar results

It is not unusual to have minor variations in scar quality between the right and left breast with breast augmentation surgery. You should contact your physician as soon as possible for recommendations about enhancing the scar quality.  DrBurnett#realself100