Implant too narrow for my breast diameter. Any suggestions? (photos)

I am having breast augmentation and my surgeon chose mentor 350 cc high profile for me. ( the other option was 375cc but I found it a bit large) I am 5ft2 110 lbs (1.57 and 50 kg) and a deflated A. I usually have been a b but breastfeed two kids) my bwd is 15 but the implant chosen is 11.7... Is it the Right for me? I read that implant widht should be close to your bwd my my chest is narrow....

Choosing implant width

Hi Ranapeluda
Implant width is usually chosen based on your chest width measurement minus an adjustment for your soft tissue thickness. If your pinch thickness around your breast is about 3cm, then the 11.7cm base width implant should give you a breast that does not spill off the side of your chest (think Baywatch), which gets in the road when exercising etc.
If you are uncertain, get another consultation with your surgeon and think about the 375cc implant again. There will only be a few mm in the width and projection, and the most common reason for implant changes is to go up a size.
Good Luck
Dr Gavin Sandercoe

Breast Implants/Breast Augmentation/Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/ Silicone Implants/Breast Implant Revision Surgery

I appreciate your question. The size of implant best for you is dictated by your chest wall measurements.  Once we determine that we can choose the profile based on what you want or need to achieve.  If you are seeking a natural look, then the diameter of the implant should be equal to or, more ideally, smaller than the width of your breast. The breast width is a measurement of how wide your breast is at the base, which should be measured at the level of the nipple. Choosing an implant that is smaller in diameter than your breast width will avoid the "side breast" fullness that is often associated with a more artificial appearance.  Other than that, you should choose the implant based on volume, not on the dimensions of the implant. You should choose a board certified plastic surgeon that you trust to help guide you in this decision.   Silicone will give you a fullness at the top (upper pole fullness). Silicone implants come pre-filled with a silicone gel and are the softest implant available. They feel more natural, which makes them a good option for women with less natural breast tissue; but they require a larger incision. It may be more difficult to realize if this type of implant has ruptured, so it is important to monitor them with annual follow-up visits. Additionally, because this implant contains a more liquid silicone (less cross-linked), if this implant should rupture, it will leak only into the scar capsule formed around the implant but may cause some discomfort or implant distortion. Anatomic gummy bear implants might be a good choice to give you volume. These highly-sought-after, anatomic implants offer a look that more closely resembles the natural silhouette of a breast, and, therefore, are a very attractive option for individuals seeking a natural-looking, aesthetic primary breast augmentation. Additionally, these implants are an especially excellent option for patients undergoing restorative or corrective breast surgery because they provide more stability, shape, and reduced incidence of capsular contracture. Compared to other types of silicone gel implants, the silicone in the cohesive gel implant is more cross-linked; therefore, should the implant shell “rupture,” it maintains its shape and silicone does not leak. During your breast augmentation consultation, you should feel the different types of implants available, and try on various implant sizers in front of a mirror to help you to get an idea of how you will look following the surgery. You should also bring pictures of the look you would like to achieve, as well as a favorite top to wear when trying on implant sizers. The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam. Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery. best of luck! Dr Schwartz Board Certified Plastic Surgeon Director-Beverly Hills Breast and Body Institute #RealSelf100Surgeon

Implant too narrow for my breast diameter. Any suggestions?

Thank you for the question.  There are no hard and fast rules when it comes to diameter of breast implant versus diameter of breast (band width). In other words, these measurements are useful but are only one of the many factors come into play when it comes to selection of appropriate breast implant size/profile.

Ultimately, careful communication of your goals (in my practice I prefer the use of goal pictures, direct examination/communication in front of a full-length mirror, in bra sizers, and computer imaging) as well as careful measurements (dimensional planning) will be critical.

***Given that your surgery is coming up soon, I would suggest that you spend additional time communicating your goals/concerns directly with your plastic surgeon, preferably prior to the date of surgery.

Generally speaking, the best online advice I can give to ladies who are considering breast augmentation surgery ( regarding breast implant size/profile selection) is:

1. Concentrate on choosing your plastic surgeon carefully. Concentrate on appropriate training, certification, and the ability of the plastic surgeon to achieve the results you are looking for. Ask to see lots of examples of his/her work. 2. Have a full discussion and communication regarding your desired goals with your plastic surgeon. This communication will be critical in determining breast implant size/type/profile will most likely help achieve your goals.  In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. For example, I have found that the use of know words such as “natural” or "C or D cup” etc means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful. Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on him who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup size may also be inaccurate. Again, the use of computer imaging has been very helpful during the communication process, in our practice. 3. Once you feel you have communicated your goals clearly, allow your plastic surgeon to use his/her years of experience/judgment to choose the breast implant size/profile that will best meet your goals. Again, in my practice, this decision is usually made during surgery, after the use of temporary intraoperative sizers.
I hope this (and the attached link/video, dedicated to breast augmentation surgery concerns) helps. Best wishes for an outcome that you will be very pleased with. 

Implant Width

Hello there Implant width is just one of the factors that are taken into account in the implant selection process .Your breast tissue thickness , your breast shape , your chest wall - all these things factor into the selection process .
The surgeon that examined you has the best idea of your other characteristics .If you have lingering doubts , get a second opinion . But it has to be from someone that has actually examined you .
CheersTS

Terrence Scamp, MBBS, FRACS
Gold Coast Plastic Surgeon

15cm?

I have a very very hard time believing that your BWD is 15. Lots of ways to measure it. Based on your height and weight, I think the 350s are probably right on. Don't stress. Go with your gut and your surgeon!

#breastaugment

Hi.  If that is the true base width then you are correct in saying that the implant chosen is too narrow and this will not give an optimal result.  Different surgeons use slightly different measurements for the base width and the amount of native breast tissue needs to be taken into account.  From your photo and measurements In my experience I would be very surprised if your base width was 15 cm and the implant chosen is probably ok for you.
Regards

Implant too narrow?

There are more factors that go into choosing an implant than just the base width, although I do agree it is an important measurement.  Certainly choosing an implant wider than your BWD is not ideal so the implant you and your surgeon have chosen may be OK.
Hopefully you have had a VECTRA or another 3D simulation that can usually quite accurately give you an idea of what your results will look like.  Generally it helps you to understand fully the different options you have.  If you haven't I think it would be very worthwhile.
In any case, since you are uncertain you should contact your surgeon and discuss your concerns with them before proceeding with your surgery.
Kind regards,
Dean

Breast implant diameter

You can place an implant that is slightly smaller than your breast's width, if you are seeking a smaller end result. You should not however get an implant that is wider that your breast's width. Discuss this further with your surgeon as there are more factors involved in this decision other than base width.
Best wishes,Dr.Bruno

William Bruno, MD

It's hard to determine your best size without specific breast measurements and an in person exam. Remember to choose a board certified plastic surgeon who actually takes the time to measure you and examine your breast pocket. The goal of breast augmentation is to optimally fill your breast pocket, not to overstuff or understuff it. At my practice, we utilize a series of 5 breast measurements that help me determine the implant size, which in turn helps me deliver a 24 hour recovery. Do your research and choose a surgeon who takes the time to sit down with you and discuss your goals/expectations to determine the best size for you. Remember that sizers will only give you a rough estimate. Good luck!!