I have melasma after having four kids. It's getting worse. I have dark skin tone. And unsure what kind of treatment I should do.

Melasma Treatments

I usually put my patients on a product we carry called So Bright. This product has skin toning and lightening benefits and combines Kojic Acid, Arbutin and Bearberry, Green Tea and Hydroquinone. I start my patients at either 4% or 6% depending on their skin type. It's a very effective treatment for Melasma. In more severe cases, I will follow up one month later with a series of photofacials. Once the Melasma is under control it is very important to use a sunscreen no less than 50 SPF.

Multiple approach to MELASMA

Melasma can not be completely cured, however effective treatment are possible. This is because your skin is extremely sensitive to UV and even the smallest amount can stimulate your pigment cells to produce colour. The mainstay of treatment is strict UV protection- hats, sunglasses and SPF every 4 hours.

I prefer to use a combination of creams and laser for melasma. Hydroquinone can be used (5-8%), along with vitamin A creams. I usually start my patients on laser (low dose Q switch or Picosure) a few weeks after they commence on creams.

In some cases I combine glycolic AHA peels, and in other cases I use a tablet called Tranexamic acid to help.

More information on available treatments in the Web ref below- VIDEO 

Dr Davin Lim
Laser, surgical and aesthetic dermatologist
Brisbane, Australia

Davin Lim, MBBS, FACD
Brisbane Dermatologist

Treating melasma in darker skin types

There are many ways to treat melasma. First, important to identify any triggers such as a medication (e.g. birth control pill). Next, starting with a high-quality SPF 60 or higher sunscreen, big hat and sunglasses & sun avoidance is important in preventing worsening. For treatment, see your dermatologist. Starting with creams that contain such ingredients as hydroquinone, retinol, vitamin C, or others that may be mixed together can be quite useful There are also treatments such as chemical peels that can be beneficial. Lasers in dark skin are a last resort.

Benjamin Barankin, MD
Toronto Dermatologic Surgeon

Melasma for Dark Skin

Cosmelan is by far the best treatment for Melasma in my patients, particularly in those with dark skin.  It takes two peels combined with the Cosmelan products and I have had amazing results.  Best, Dr. Green

Melasma treatment for dark skin

The best way to start with dark skin is using skin lightener such as hydroquinone to lighten the melisma. You have to be patient as it does take time. One good skin lightener that is very effective is Obagi Neuderm that contains 4% hydroquinone and over time it will lighten the melisma.  It is also very important that you wear sunscreen with SPF 30++, preferable 50++ daily.
If you are seeking in-office treatments such as laser treatments be sure to consult with a reputable doctor who has experience with darker skin.  Most times darker skin patients worsen from laser treatments. Experienced doctor is the key here.

David P. Melamed, MD
Los Angeles Dermatologist

Tratment of Melasma

A great option for you would be the Permea laser by Solta. Its 1927nm wavelength makes it very safe on Melasma, and is great for all skin types! I recommend doing a series of at least 4 treatments spaced 4 weeks apart.

#melasma #clearandbrilliant #permea

Melasma treatments

A great treatment for you would be the Permea laser by Solta. It is a 1927nm wavelength which is very safe on Melasma, and all skin types! I recommend doing a series of at least 4 spaced 4 weeks apart. 

#melasma   #clearandbrilliant   #permea