I had labia reduction and vaginal tightening surgery 7 days ago; I have this bubble that is causing massive discomfort? (Photo)

I have asked my surgeons advice ( he is a 2hr flight away ) and have been told the pressure has caused this and I need do use hot compresses to bring down swelling and if that doesn't work I need to see my gp to get those stitches cut to relieve the pressure causing the bubble which ultimately will loosen up the entrance a bit which I really don't want to do considering how much money I just spent on tightening it all

Post-Op Healing for Labiaplasty

Swelling after #Labiaplasty is usually present for several weeks and can be very severe and uncomfortable at times. It’s possible that swelling can persist for two or three months and firmness of tissue can remain for 4-6 months. Hopefully by now this bubble has started to shrink with the hot compresses that were recommended.  Postoperative care will usually consist of sitz baths or soaking the area in warm soapy water starting approximately 2 days after a surgery. Make sure you keep extreme pressure off the area for 4-6 weeks during the healing process. The sutures will dissolve over the course of several weeks as well, and during this period the welling will go down even further.  This will in part depend upon the #Labiaplasty technique used, the amount of brusing and they way in which your body heals. Ice can help reduce swelling. Arnica and Bromelain may help.  Direct massage may be useful as well, so just keep an eye on the area! Best of luck.

Hopefully this has resolved by now

Sorry you're in discomfort and hopefully this has resolved by now. You have blistering of fragile tissue that is rich in nerve endings. I would recommend ice, not heat, for similar patients of mine. That and lots of Vaseline to keep the area moist. The combined trim labiaplasty and vaginoplasty results in the most amount of swelling, which tends to progress to the lowest area by gravity. Hopefully this is resolved.

Labiaplasty One Week Recovery

Thank you for your question about recovery from Labiaplasty.

At 7 days, it is too early to make any determinations.  You still have swelling.

For specific questions like this and about your recovery, it is generally best to speak with your doctor or doctor’s representative – such as his or her nurse, or the physician on call for the practice.

You will likely get many different opinions from members of the RealSelf Community, but they have not physically seen or examined you, and nobody knows you or the circumstances better than your doctor.

If you feel you are not being listened to or you are doubting your doctor’s recommendations, then it is certainly within your rights to seek a second and get the advice from another board certified physician. This should be done through an in-person consultation.

Obviously, if you think that you are having a medical emergency or other serious problem, you should call 911 and/or go to your nearest emergency room.

Best Wishes.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS

PINCHED LABIA

That does appear to be an area of tissue caught within a loop of suture, and certainly NOT a hematoma.  If you can bring yourself (or someone else) to find and clip the suture at the base of that area, it will give rapid (within hours) relief.  Otherwise, ice may help.  Ibuprofen or narcotics may help. And the pain won't go away until the sutures dissolve.  But that can be 5-10 or more days depending upon the type and strength of suture used.  The suture I prefer lasts about a week.

R. Scott Yarish, MD

Big-time swelling at the bottom of my perineoplasty incision line!

Ice it for 20 minutes 5-6 times/day, take ibuprofen 600 mg every 6-8 hours for 3 day and spend as much time as you can laying down with your butt & legs up and it should resolve over the next 3-4 days. if not, GO IN and consult with your surgeon.

Michael P Goodman, MD
Davis, CA USA

Post op changes

Hi!    From the picture you have some swelling/edema on the labia minora and some bruising on the labia majora. This should subside in time .  I  usually suggest cold packs for the swelling instead of hot compresses though. The bubble like mass at the bottom of the left labia majora should be seen by your local gynecologist or the surgeon as soon as possible. This may need further more urgent management and evaluation.  I hope this helps!

Scott M GulinsonMD
OBGYN and Cosmetic Vaginal surgeon
Glendale, AZ

Labiaplasty & perineoplasty problems

Dear Miss Private;

Judging from your photos you have a  small hematoma of the labia majora and the mass at the bottom of the vagina is most likely not blisters but instead as your surgeon told you----- swelling of the skin due to suture pinching this area.  This will go down with time but if the pain is so unbearable it should help to cut those skin sutures.  Those skin sutures are in the area of the perineum and this procedure i.e. the perienoplasty is one of the surgeries utilized to tighten the vaginal specifically the opening of the vagina.

Hope this helps

John R Miklos MD
Urogynecologist & Cosmetic Vaginal Surgeon
Atlanta ~ Beverly Hills ~ Dubai

Swelling will continue to improve with time

At this point I think it is best to continue to wait for the swelling to decrease. It will take several months for the swelling to completely resolve, and I definitely wouldn't pursue any type of revision until at least 4 months. At the point the swelling may have improved enough that it doesn't bother you.  Continue with ice, and be sure there is no friction against this area in your clothing. 

Labia reduction and bubble

You have bruising of the labia majora and blisters in the back side of the labia.  This may be due to the pressure, swelling or some other irritation of the area.  It will be very uncomfortable, but once swelling starts to go away, the discomfort will improve.  Contact your surgeon for more advice.

Alex Kim, MD

Alex Kim, MD