I am getting a breast reduction. I am currently a size DD.

My surgeon asked me what size I want to go down to. I said a "C" but how do I really know what a C cup actually looks like? How do people choose? Is there anything that can make my decision easier, instead of just guessing?

Determining the size of the breast prior to breast reduction.

You're absolutely correct that a C cup is a somewhat arbitrary measurement. Bringing photographs of breast size it represents the endpoint will help the surgeon in determining how much breast tissue to remove at the time of the reduction.

Communicating goals with breast reduction surgery…

Thank you for very good question and congratulations on your decision to proceed with breast reduction surgery; this operation tends to be one of the most patient pleasing operations we perform.

Before undergoing the breast reduction procedure it will be very important to communicate your size goals with your surgeon (who you should choose very carefully). Most patients wish to achieve enough of a reduction to help with their symptoms while remaining proportionate with the remainder of their torso. 

With the goal of improving communication with my patients I find the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) very helpful.  Computer imaging has also become more useful in the communication process. For example, I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or “B or C cup” means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful. Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup size may also be inaccurate.  

Best wishes with your breast reduction procedure; hopefully you will be very pleased with the outcome of the procedure performed.

Size to go to

These are good questions, that everyone having a breast reduction has to contemplate. There is no magical perfect solution, and to a very large extent, you'll be relying on the expertise of your surgeon to produce something you're happy with. Cup size is obviously less reliable than the Richmond Football team. Give up on it. I tend to advise patients that we'll need to go small enough to relieve symptoms, and to not be needing to come back should you put on a few kgs. But then I ask them if they'd like to be 'in proportion' top and bottom, still a bit larger on top, or actually on the small side on top compared to hips and thighs and waist. Surgeons only ask 'cup size' 'cos it gives us a quick ballpark as to what's in the person's head. i.e. 'B' = I want to go as small as you can make me and keep my nipples alive, etc. 'DD' = I've always liked my figure and curves, but my neck and back can't take it anymore, etc etc. 

Mark Baldwin, MBBS
Melbourne Plastic Surgeon