I had Breast augmentation just under 2 weeks ago and I am back at work at a restaurant. Is it okay to lift plates, trays etc

2 weeks post Breast augmentation, how much can I lift ?

Hello dear, thanks for your question and provided information as well.. I recommend you to wait at least from 4 to 6 weeks after your procedure, it will be safer for you. Do not move your arms too much, hugs!

Each surgeon has their own protocols for post operative care. Please address this with your surgeon. 

Regards, 

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Lifting post BA

Usually we ask patients to refrain from strenuous activity for 4-6 weeks.  It is somewhat individualized, but it takes several weeks for the breast to drop into appropriate position and one does not want to interfere with that process or cause and disruption that can lead to inflammation or increase capsule rate.  Of course, also taking it easier after muscle dissection will also reduce pain.  In all, don't over do it, use good judgement and follow up with your surgeon.

Rodney E. Schmelzer, MD
Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon

Heavy lifting after surgery

Thank you for your question and congratulations on your recent surgery! I generally prefer my patients to limit themselves to no heavy lifting (greater than 10 lbs) for the first 3 weeks. It's best to take it easy for your first week or two back to work. Good luck and congratulations, again!

I would suggest confirming this with your surgeon, but I generally recommend that my patients lift nothing over 5lbs for the first 6 weeks post op.  You should be able to handle lighter items but not large trays.  Follow your surgeon's advice for the best outcome.

Michael Brucker, MD

Lifting weight after BA

Hi Cassie,
At your stage of 2 weeks after BA I normally allow lifting up to 10 lb if its not pain full. Implants under the muscle may take little longer to have pain less lifting more than this weight.Your body will tell you how much you can do and on heavy you should not.
Go slowly to heaver weight in next 10 days.

Activity after augmentation

Congratulations on your augmentation, cassie95! Everyone recovers differently and it really depends on what kind of augmentation you had, meaning if the implants were under the muscle or not. Sometimes increased activity with one arm more than the other can lead to unmasking new pain. If the breast looks different and feels different, it is important to maintain follow up with your doctor and have your concerns addressed in person as well. A supportive bra can help but you should check with your doctor if they would be fine with you being in a bra. Most people would say if it hurts, don't do it! Try to listen to your body and go from there. Best of luck, MMT

Lifting a few light plates would be ok. But, at this point it may be better to ask your coworkers to help you lift the heavy trays. for another week or so. Thank you for sharing your question. Best wishes.

Dr. Gregory Park

Gregory Park, MD