I need some advise on combining surgeries?

I am Australian and I am going to Bangkok For an arm and thigh lift, breast lift with implants and a tummy tuck. They said that they would do the surgery over 2 operations and I will be in Bangkok you for 26 days? Is this safe - I am perfectly healthy and I need to get this done in the one trip for many reasons including cost, time of from work and time away from my 4 year old. I have researched the plastic surgeon and hospital and both have excellent reputations.

Thank you for your question. The decision of having multiple procedures is sometimes tempting. However I agree with my previous colleague in saying that you are exposing yourself to a high risk. In the unlikely event of post-operative complications as simple as delayed healing (possible even in the hands of a skilled and highly trained surgeon which I am sure you have) not to mention other, the recovery will be much longer and the final cosmetic outcome possibly not as satisfactory as you would wish. I would not consider this as a safe option in my practice. Please make sure you do as much research as possible.

Best of luck

Andrea Marando

Manchester Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for the question. Although I understand the "practical concerns" at hand, I think that you are exposing yourself to significant risk having two major operations done within the span of 26 days.  This is not something I would offer to you in my practice.

Generally speaking, combination surgical procedures are done routinely.  However, you are wise in being concerned about the safety of combination surgery; risks/possible complications do increase with increased length of surgery… You are also wise about having concerns about doing surgery out of the country; important issues such as follow-up and management of complications are of great concern.

I would encourage you to make your decisions carefully; medical tourism although certainly cheaper, may not be the safest way to proceed. Select your plastic surgeon based on the quality/safety record. Ask to see lots of examples of his/her work and preferably communicate with some previous patients as well. Make sure you also consider factors such as follow-up and treatment of complications that may occur, even in the best of hands. Best wishes.