Would i get good results from round implants or teardrop? (photos)

I have been recommended teardrop implant 410MX Allergan. The risks of rotation and less natural movement when laying down os what puts me off from teardrop... Would i be able to get similar results with round implants?

Round or tear drop

Thanks for sharing your story and imagesI would recommend tear drop due to the mild ptosis you have.The risk of rotation is so small in primary breast augmentation that it isn't really worth worrying about.Worse case scenario you rotate,

Breast Implants

Thank you for your question and for sharing photos. Generally speaking, teardrop implants give a more natural look as they are shaped like breast tissue. The risk of rotation is very very small. Round Implants should give you a nice shape as well as more upper pole fullness. I recommend undergoing Vectra 3D Imaging so you can "try on" different implants and see which aesthetic you like the best. Breast of luck! 

Kevin Tehrani, MD, FACS

Breast Implants/Breast Augmentation/Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/ Silicone Implants/Breast Implant Revision Surgery

I appreciate your question.

The best way to determine implant size is based on chest wall measurements that fit your body.  Once we determine that we can choose the profile based on what you want or need to achieve.  

Implants under the muscle, there is less risk of capsular contracture.  Anatomic implants tend to give a more natural shape with more nipple projection.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.  Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery.

Best of luck!Dr. Schwartz

#RealSelf100Surgeon

#RealSelfCORESurgeon

Rotation

Hello there The risk of rotation with a tear drop implant is about 1% , so realistically a very small risk .It will give you a more natural result than a round implant .A round implant could work but it will indeed look more round and less real . It depends on whether you want it to look like your breasts or your implants !It depends on the look you like . Speak to your surgeon . Most of us use both implant shapes and patient preference is an important part of that decision .You are very thin so I would avoid a subglandular implant as this is likely to give  visible implant edge at the upper pole . The muscle will hide the upper pole of the implant .
CheersTS

Terrence Scamp, MBBS, FRACS
Gold Coast Plastic Surgeon

Would i get good results from round implants or teardrop?

Yes, you should be able to get good results from a round breast implant. Remember that it's the surgeon's technique and your anatomy/wound healing that will give you a good result, not necessarily the type of implant used. Good luck!

Anatomic vs round implants

I believe you can get a very good result with round implants and then not need to worry about the rotation of an anatomic implant.  (In fact, if you hold a round implant at the top and let the rest of the implant "hang" is assumes a teardrop shape.)Good luck,Dr. Luong

Jacqueline Anne Luong, MD, FACS
Edina Plastic Surgeon

#breastaugment

Hi.  I agree with you.  In the majority of cases including you an anatomical implant can be avoided which negates the problem of rotation.  I think you would get a very nice result from a round implant and my advice would be a textured round subglandular implant. This similarly will avoid any issues with animation from the muscle movement.

Round vs. shaped implants

Hello, either implant is good. You will have a great result with either. Many women looking for breast augmentation actually prefer the round implants because they provide more volume at the top of the breasts, which is typically where women seeking augmentation desire volume.  If you are unsure, talk with your surgeon about it or seek another opinion. Best of luck!

Round implants

I do not use anatomical implants because of risk of rotation. Smooth moderate or high profile under the muscle preferred.

Stuart A. Linder, MD, FACS

Thank you for the question. These days there are a variety of breast implants available; the variety of breast implant available raise a lot of questions from women considering breast augmentation surgery. Personally, I think that for most patients considering breast augmentation surgery, careful selection of plastic surgeon and careful communication of goals, far outweigh the specific type of breast implant utilized (when it comes to the success of the breast augmentation procedure).

Anatomical breast implants were designed to better simulate the natural breast shape; the problem with these implants is that if they shift or rotate, the entire breast will change shape as well. This change in breast shape may require further surgery to correct. Round implants, under the hand, can shift or rotate without changing the shape of the breasts. ***Overall, I find that beautiful outcomes can be achieved with the use of round saline or silicone gel breast implants for the vast majority of patients.  Patients undergoing breast augmentation should understand that their anatomical “starting point” will play a significant "role" in the outcome that they can expect with breast augmentation surgery.  For example, if the patient starts out with a significant distance between the breasts, there are limits as to how close of "cleavage" can be achieved.  

Generally speaking, the best online advice I can give to ladies who are considering breast augmentation surgery ( regarding breast implant size/profile selection) is:

1. Concentrate on choosing your plastic surgeon carefully. Concentrate on appropriate training, certification, and the ability of the plastic surgeon to achieve the results you are looking for. Ask to see lots of examples of his/her work.

2. Have a full discussion and communication regarding your desired goals with your plastic surgeon. This communication will be critical in determining breast implant size/type/profile will most likely help achieve your goals.  In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. For example, I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or "C or D cup" etc means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful. Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on him who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup size may also be inaccurate. Again, the use of computer imaging has been very helpful during the communication process, in our practice.

3. Once you feel you have communicated your goals clearly, allow your plastic surgeon to use his/her years of experience/judgment to choose the breast implant size/profile that will best meet your goals. Again, in my practice, this decision is usually made during surgery, after the use of temporary intraoperative sizers. I hope this (and the attached link, dedicated to breast augmentation surgery concerns) helps. Best wishes for an outcome that you will be very pleased with.