I'm looking to freshen up my appearance. I have some pigmentation and pores i'd like to reduce. (photos)

As well as rejuvenate skin tone. I've considered for sometime how to best address some skin concerns I have. I have some uneven skin tone on my face, I'd like to even out. It's a mixture of pigmention and sun damage. I've turned 40 and started to get a few wrinkles around my eyes and enlargining pores around my nose. Nothing major but I'm conscious of it and want to reduce them. Not sure the best treatments. There are many options available but I get a bit confused about which is most effective. Some pics attached.

Freshen up your skin

I prefer to start my patients on an aggressive skin regimen, but one that involves slowly adding products so that your skin can start to feel the benefits but without all the terrible side effects of redness, irritation, skin cracking and peeling.               In our practice we sell and use ZO skin care which is absolutely fantastic.  I spend a lot of time with my patients educating them about skin care, and they all seem to love the product and the effect.  I think the most important thing is to be educated about the products you are using, and make sure someone doesn't give your 10 different products to start on when you have never done anything before with your skin.  You will regret it, and then hate the product.  Skin care is just as much about communication and education as it is about the actual products.   I think these type of products would help you immensely.  Feel free to check out my website to get some education and before and after results.  And feel free to contact me at any time if you have additional questions.              "The above answer has been given without seeing this patient and cannot be substituted for actual in-person examination and medical advice; it is only opinion. Seek in-person treatment with a trained medical professional for appropriate care."

Early Aging, Management

Thank you for your question. While there are many devices that can help with the changes in your skin, I highly recommend tried and true measures: 

1) skin care with sun block, retinol and vitamin C (or other antioxidant), 

2) Moderate Depth Peels. 

Actinic damage (sun damage) and natural aging are best fought off with nightly retinol and vitamin C with a protective sun barrier during the day. It is simple, effective and will have a great result and prevent further damage at little cost. A TCA peel done by an expert can also provide a "jump start" to this regimen and reverse much of the already existing damage. Both these skin care regimens and peels can assist with pore size.  If these simple and relatively low cost measures do not work enough you can then consider more invasive procedures such as laser resurfacing. 

Anthony J. Wilson, MD
Portsmouth Physician

Skin Resurfacing

Thank you for your question. There are several different forms of skin resurfacing that can be used to treat wrinkles and discoloration of the facial skin including laser refinishing, chemical peel and dermabrasion, each of which varies in strength and can be adjusted depending on your specific needs.  I suggest you consult with a board certified facial plastic surgeon.Best wishes,

Ross A. Clevens, MD
Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

Improving Skin Tone, Pore Size and Fine Lines

Unfortunately there is not a one-treatment fix-all, but rather several different options, each very effective in one specific area. A series of IPL would be a great treatment for you in achieving your goal of a nice, even skin tone. IPL, or Intense Pulsed Light, can both reduce redness and diminish hyperpigmentation in just a few treatments - typically 2-3, however it is different for everyone. The procedure is painless but does involve minimal downtime, around 4-5 days, which can be customized to fit your schedule and needs. Your crows feet (wrinkles around the eyes), are most effectively treated with a neuromodulator such as Botox or Dysport which after administration will last around 4-5 months, depending on the person. Finally, enlarged pores, which are directly correlated to a loss of elasticity, can be reduced in appearance with a series of collagen building treatments such as Sublative rejuvenation. Sublative harnesses the power of energy currents to penetrate the skin and stimulate collagen production (while keeping the outer layer of skin intact). Downtime for this treatment will range from 2-5 days which can be customized to fit your schedule and needs. Just remember when choosing a provider that there is no such thing as one treatment that does it all - the best results will come from targeted treatments, each specializing in a particular area of concern. 

Dennis Gross, MD

Treating Pigmentation, Pore and Texture

Hi and thank you for your question! You look like a great candidate for Sciton's BBL and Halo combination! The BBL will help to even out the tone (browns and reds) and the Halo will help to stimulate collagen and address the pores, lines and wrinkles! I would recommend 2 of this combination, as well as starting on a good skin care regimen. Set up a consultation with an experienced office that has these Sciton lasers. Best, Dr. Grant Stevens

Grant Stevens, MD