I work out regularly because it helps with my chronic fatigue syndrome. What exercise can I do during labiaplasty recovery?

I am scheduled for labiaplasty surgery in a few weeks time. I workout regularly (6 days/week), and find that it helps me with my chronic fatigue syndrome. I am a little concerned by the prospect of no exercise for many weeks after the surgery. Would any sort of light exercise be safe, say in the first 2 weeks? I am thinking of slow walking, very light weights, or resistance bands. Obviously I will not be attempting anything strenuous or vigorous, but just some sort of gentle movement...

Labiaplasty in Los Angeles

Our office specializes in labiaplasty surgery in Los Angeles. We recommend non strenuous aerobic activity after labiaplasty surgery. Strenuous exercise may damage the delicate sutures on the labia minora. 

Raffy Karamanoukian MD FACS
Los Angeles

What exercise can I do during labiaplasty recovery?

I would ask those questions of your surgeon at your preoperative visit.  They are good questions and given your activity level, will impact your life for a few weeks after surgery.  Typically any upper body or core exercises are fine, but any exercise that would have you sitting or cause excess sweating and rubbing would be prohibited.  Good luck with your operation!

Exercise after labiaplasty

Hi. Any upper limb or core exercise is fine. In terms of walking most people find this uncomfortable at the start but the answer is whatever you feel comfortable is ok - obviously cycling is out, but squats/lunges etc may be possible. All the best with your surgery. Regards Dr Charles Cope 

Charles Cope, MD
Sydney Plastic Surgeon

Exercise after labiaplasty: what type

Generally, patients are able to walk comfortably within a few days and can return to work within a week. Swelling can persist for several weeks.
Patients return to most normal activities immediately after surgery with the exception of activities that will create direct pressure on the area, such as certain exercise equipment and sexual activity. It will be necessary to refrain from these forms of physical activity, including sex, for approximately 4-6 weeks.
Postoperative care will usually consist of sitz baths or soaking the area in warm soapy water starting approximately 2 days after a surgery. The sutures will dissolve over the course of several weeks. Swelling can persist for two or three months. Ice can help reduce swelling.