Possible to excise Juvederm Volbella from lips 2 months post procedure? Hyaluronidase is not an option.

This wk, three lumps have developed along the inner side of my lips, & the corners of my lips have become very thick. The lumps are very visible. I saw my injecting Dr & she said the lumps are from filler. I asked if we could puncture the lumps & excise the filler but she said that was not possible as the filler has integrated into the lip tissue by now. If that's so, why would these lumps appear all of a sudden? Is it possible to remove filler via this method 2 months post injections? Thank you

Removing filler

Thank you for your question Unhappy lips. I am sorry to hear that you are unhappy with the results of your treatment. Volbella is a hyaluronic acid filler designed to enhance the lips. Unlike implants, injectable fillers are placed in the skin and spread out through the skin, allowing for volumization. For this reason they are dissolved if desired results are not achieved.

Please consult with a doctor for specific recommendations. Good luck!

Removing filler

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Volbella - Smoothing Lip Lumps

While it is relatively rare to have a localized reaction to Juvederm Volbella a few months after your procedure, it is not impossible. Generally any lumps that occur after the injections can be smoothed with hyaluronidase, although if this is not an option I would recommend lightly massaging the lips and allowing the body to naturally metabolize the filler, which will occur over the course of 6-12 months. Volbella is a temporary hyaluronic acid filler and it will be dissolved by your body. Unfortunately this adverse reaction, which has manifested as the lumps you described, cannot be excised and the only immediate resolution would be to use hyaluronidase. Regardless of your decision, please ensure that you meet with a cosmetic physician to evaluate the area and establish a personalized treatment plan for modifying your Volbella results.

Volbella - Smoothing Lip Lumps

Lip nodules after Vobella

I would not go the sugical route. I would use hyaluronidase for this. Higher doses than normal are required for this product. It is a product related phenomenon. 

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Lip nodules after Vobella

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Issues after lip volbella

Volbella is a great product for lips but the results depend on many factors including the skill and experience of the doctor doing injections, the location of injections as well as unique patient characteristics.
In your situation, I recommend that you see the doctor that did the inkections.

Issues after lip volbella

Try hyaluronidase first

Hyaluronidase can be injected to dissolve the product. You don't need excision unless there's something else going on, like nodules or granulomas.

Try hyaluronidase first

Removing Volbella from the lips

My preference is always to try hyaluronidase first. Any highly trained cosmetic injector such as a dermatologist can do this safely and effectively for you. Another option is to poke small holes into the nodules and try to express any excess contents through pressure. My final option would be to excise the nodules.

Benjamin Barankin, MD, FRCPC
Toronto Dermatologic Surgeon

Removing Volbella from the lips

Benjamin Barankin, MD, FRCPC
Toronto Dermatologic Surgeon

I would trial a non surgical procedure first.

To quote my mentor and an excellent dermatologist, Dr Greg Goodman ' My second favourite filler is hylaluronidase.' 
Please consider this option as it is very easy to do, takes less than 10 seconds, then massage the area. 

If it is a HA filler, it will dissolve. If it is scar tissue it will not, and I do believe that excision maybe considered as an option. 

Hope this helps

Dr Davin Lim
Laser Dermatologist
BRISBANE
Australia

Hope this helps

Dr Davin Lim
Laser Dermatologist
BRISBANE
Australia

Lumps after hyaluronic acid dermal fillers can be improved with massage and/or the use of hyaluronidase. Follow up with your local plastic surgeon to determine your best treatment options. Thank you for sharing your question. Best wishes.

Lumpy lips after Juvederm Volbella treatment

Thanks for your question.  Although very rare, its not uncommon to have a localized reaction to your dermal filler a few months after your procedure.  It is possible to settle these lumps using an enzymatic product which breaks down the hyaluronic acid in the product and it would be worthwhile disussing this with your injecting doctor, although it can't be used during pregnancy. While its not possible to surgically remove your dermal filler, you will find that the product will metabolize over the coming months and disappear.  In the meantime, lightly massaging the lips may help.

Removal of Juvederm Volbella

Developed by Allergan, Volbella is a new injectible filler for non-surgical lip augmentation and restoration. Its new patented hyaluronic acid formula results in less swelling, and long-lasting results. Volbella is used to smooth lip lines which develop with age, leaving your lips plumper, and to smooth fine lines around the lip area.

However, it is not approved by the FDA in the United States and can not be removed surgically. You may be able to massage the lumps to minimize their size and appearance.

Removal of Juvederm Volbella