Dissolving Juvederm in lips. Can I do this again?

I had Restylane in my top lip dissolved 6 months ago. I decided to try again with lip fillers and got Juvederm injected instead...needless to say that it didn't go well either. Is it okay for me to get it dissolved again? This will be the last time I get lip fillers for at least a few years. Lesson learnt.

It is fine to have your lip injections dissolved again if you are truly unhappy with the results.

It is fine to have your lip injections dissolved again if you are truly unhappy with the results. When it comes to lip injections, injector technique is more important than the product used. It is also important to be clear about your goals and convey them to your injector. After a bad result, rather than changing products, telling your injector exactly what you didn’t like and being clear about your expectations will help you to achieve a better result the next time. I’m sorry that you had a bad experience, and I hope that these tips will help you if you decide to have lip injections again. It is also important to always visit a board-certified dermatologist for your injections.

San Diego Dermatologic Surgeon

Juvederm and Lips and Dissolving Filler

There are many different fillers that you can use to add volume to the lips.  I am unsure what you didn't like about the filler but you can definitely have it dissolved without incident.  Best, Dr. Green

Dissolving Juvederm

I'm so sorry to hear you aren't happy with your lip augmentation results.  It is okay to get the Juvederm dissolved at this point.  Why didn't you like your results?  Think about your goals of treatment and discuss these with an experienced injector.  Best of luck to you!

Poor lip outcomes from injections are provider related not product problems

If you think it is related to whether you had Juvederm or Restylane injected, you are wrong. The outcomes of these injections is directly related to the skill and expertise of the injector. I suggest you go to a Board certified Plastic, Facial Plastic, or Dermatologist for your lips. Also make sure you see some before and after pics as well as ask your friends about their results. Both of these fillers are great for lips. Dissolve and start over is my suggestion.  See link.

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Dissolving fillers

Hyaluronic acid fillers are wonderful options because they are forgiving.  There is no long term adverse effect of dissolving fillers.  As to whether you should try lip filler again, far too often, patients and physicians blame the product for poor results.  Most poor results are due to injection technique.  It is always a good idea to see an expert and to have an open and frank conversation of expectations prior to treatment. 

Kyle Coleman, MD
New Orleans Dermatologic Surgeon

Lip fillers-dissolving

All hyaluronic fillers can be dissolved by the enzyme Hyaluronidase.  This is dose dependent.  Hyaluronic acid (Juvederm, Restylane, etc) is a cross linked protein.  The molecular bonds and cross linking are broken by the enzyme and the remnants are metabolized by the body.  Although the filler itself may be dissolved by the enzyme, Collagen (reaction to the filler) at the site due to bruising or other factors will not be.  Thus there may be some remaining fullness even after the enzyme Hyaluronidase is used

Richard O. Gregory, MD

Yes you can, I suggest you wait 7 -10 days

Short answer - YES. However it is almost universal that patients get swelling post fillers in their lips- this includes Restylane or Juvederm. My suggestion is that you wait at least one week, as the swelling usually decreases during this time. 

Sure, if you don't like the look, Hylase the area. Always reversible.

Cheers

Dr Davin Lim 
Laser Dermatologist
BRISBANE, Australia. 

Davin Lim, MBBS, FACD
Brisbane Dermatologist

Can I dissolve the Juvederm injected in my lips?

You should return to your injector to discuss your concerns.  If you are unhappy with the results you can have the Juvederm dissolved with hyaluronidase. 

Elena Vega, DO
New York General Surgeon

Juvederm - can I dissolve it?

Thank you for asking about your Juvederm.

• It probably is ok to dissolve it again - although an exam is needed to give you the best advice.
  • What seems to be the problem?
  • Usually only 1 cc of filler is needed for the upper and lower lips.
  • Are you having too much injected? Is the person injecting you inexperienced?
  • Or are you not waiting 2 weeks?
    Your lips will swell after fillers - it is really important to wait 2 full weeks before having anything dissolved.
  • Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Hope you find this information helpful. Best wishes.