Concerned about asymmetric nostrils 6 weeks post op. (photo)

Dear Drs, I am asking this question once again as I had not received a reply previously. It has been 6 weeks since my rhinoplasty closed surgery. I am left with one nostril, the left one looking long and narrow and the other round. I am now finding it is becoming difficult to breathe through this nostril, will this open up more eventually or will I need a revision. I sincerely hope to receive a reply this time, thankyou.

Asymmetric Nostrils

You are very early in your healing process after surgery and things will certainly change over the next several months. I would allow yourself more healing time before judging your final outcome as well as talking with your surgeon because he is more familiar with your surgery and will be able to better help guide you though your entire healing process.

Asymmetric nostrils 6 weeks postop

Your photos show some nostril  asymmetry. Your surgeon can help you with additional questions;With time (and patience),the nostril balance should improve.

Burr von Maur, MD

Talk to your doctor

I know this may not be the answer you were hoping for, but the best person to speak with about your concerns is your physician. It is impossible to evaluate whether it will open up in time or if you will need a revision through photos, and the doctor most familiar with your case is undoubtedly your surgeon. My advice is to schedule a follow up appointment - these matters are always best handled in person, especially as you have expressed trouble with your breathing. If you are unhappy with the care you're receiving or continue to notice these concerns in the coming months, it may be suitable to seek a second opinion. Best of luck to you as you recover. 

Mark Petroff, MD
Lake Oswego Facial Plastic Surgeon