Chin implant shifting?

Hi there, I had a chin implant surgery about 4 months ago (through the mouth). The bottom of the implant sits higher than the bottom of my real chin and I would have expected them to be aligned (when I touch it seems that I have two chins). I think that it sits too high. I can touch the top of the implant inside my mouth close to the teeth roots. Could it be a choice of the surgeon or is it definitely shifting? Thanks a lot

Implant shifting

The key to having implants that get "locked in" place is the placement of the implant subperiosteally, literally right on top of the bone.  Intraoral placement has its own intricacies, and these are best discussed with your operating surgeon.  Have you brought up these issues to them? I would start there as there are a multitude of reasons why you may be experiencing what you are experiencing - and without examining you or at the very least seeing a picture it would be unfair to your to give you a diagnosis.  Give the office a call and have a post op exam.  Let them know what your concerns are.  They should be more than happy to help accommodate you.  I hope this helps.  

Delray Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Had a chin implant surgery about 4 months ago (through the mouth). The bottom of the implant sits high.

Hi, I have performed many Chin Augmentations using chin implants for over 30 years.  A weak chin creates an imbalance making the nose appear larger, the mid face top heavy and the lower face look short that de-emphasizes the lips and allows early formation of a double chin.  Chin augmentation using a chin implant will add projection to the chin creating harmony and balance to the lower face. 

I have found that placement of a silastic chin implant, through a small curved incision under the chin (also allows excess skin removal) to be very safe, quick, highly effective and far less invasive than a sliding genioplasty.  I perform chin implant surgery in 30 minutes or less, often using a local anesthetic alone.  In my opinion, you are a good candidate for chin implant surgery.

When an intra-oral approach is used for chin implant placement, this cuts the mentalis muscle attachment to the chin which allows the implant to move upward.  This is one of the main reasons that I use a small, curved incision under the chin to place chin implants which avoid that possibility.  The chin implant can be repositioned downward using the same type of incision under the chin.

Hope this helps.