Can I do chest exercises normally after breast lift?

Only lift. Lollipop scar. Can I go back to normal chest exercises and heavy lifting once healed?

Lipo-lift

I appreciate your question.

I perform a liposuction breast lift that removes tissue from the areas you don't want such as near the armpit and the lower portion hanging near your stomach. Once I use this to shape the breast I then remove the skin to tighten the breast and create a better shape with nice cleavage. Since I perform this less invasively the recovery time is faster. The size would depend on the proportion with your body versus going for a cup size.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.  Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic plastic surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

#RealSelf100Surgeon

#RealSelfCORESurgeon

Chest Exercises During the Healing Process

The patient will go home in a bra or with only light dressings over the incision lines. Sutures are dissolvable but an ending knot, if present is removed within 1-2 weeks. Initial discomfort is easily controlled with oral medication. Light activities may be started in 7-10 days. As with most procedures it is best to wait several weeks before returning to full activity, such as exercise, but this can be confirmed with your surgeon.

All surgical procedures carry some degree of risk Any breast operation can result in changes in sensation. This happens less with lifts than reductions but is still possible Occasionally, minor complications occur and do not affect the surgical outcome. Major complications associated with this procedure are rare. The suitability of the breast lift procedure and specific risks may be determined during your consultation.

#Hypertrophic or #keloid scars can be a problem. The worst are usually under the breast with an #AnchorLift or inverted “T”. These can be treated like all thickened scars with re-excision, laser, kenalog/5-FU injections, creams, silicone strips and other methods to reduce and improve healing.

Exercises after Breast lift recovery

Once you’ve recovered from your surgery, you should have no problems returning to your regular exercise routine. That includes heavy lifting. Please wait the recommended time before returning to exercises, as advised by your surgeon. This is generally in about 6-8 weeks.  At first, start slowly and at lighter weights just so that your body can become accustomed to exercising again.

Exercise after lift

Hello and thank you for your question. Exercise after any surgery is usually not recommended until about 6-8 weeks post op but always check with your surgeon first. Chest exercises after surgery should not be an issue once you are cleared by your doctor. Best of luck with the rest of your healing.

John W. Tyrone, MD
Gainesville Plastic Surgeon

Exercise after breast lift

It is best to follow your surgeon's recommendations based on how things are recovering after surgery, but in general I tell my patients they may begin increasing range of motion activities like reaching, twisting, and stretching at 4 weeks and progress to unrestricted activity based on comfort to include heavy lifting and impact activities like running and jumping by 6 weeks after breast lift alone.  This advice may be modified based on healing progress and resolution of swelling, or if implants are used at the same time as the lift, but I would not expect any long term limitations on strenuous activity.  I hope this helps!

After breast lift: When can I go back to normal chest exercises

It's always best to check with your surgeon about his or her protocol. I advise my patients they may return to doing normal chest exercises starting about 6 weeks after surgery. I have triple crown body builders who go back into competition after getting breast implants. They start with lighter training at 6 weeks and heavier training after 8 weeks. To determine what level of activity is right for you, you should listen to your body and see if there is any discomfort. For more information on this and similar topics, I recommend a plastic surgery Q&A book like "The Scoop On Breasts: A Plastic Surgeon Busts the Myths." 

Ted Eisenberg, DO, FACOS
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon