Is it easier to go bigger after already having implants? When will an internal bra be needed?

I currently have 325cc unhappy with size wanting to go 550cc- 600cc. is it easier to go bigger after already having implants. At what size is an internal bra be required. I want the fake look. Thank you in advance.

Increasing Implant Size with a Revision

Yes, it is possible to #increase your implant size with a #revision. However, the #pocket will need adjustment and a lift may be necessary; to better #support the new implant. Additionally, a mesh for further support may be helpful depending on the #implant size and skin #elasticity.

Is it easier to go bigger if you already have implants?

Thank you for your question.  Yes, if you already have an implant that has created a pocket and stretched out the tissues, your recovery will tend to be easier and the skin will be able to stretch to accommodate a larger implant, where it may have been too tight at the first operation.  With regard to the internal bra, this is typically used for implant malposition.  This is where the implant wanders too low or off to the side and the pocket that the implant sits in needs to be tightened up around the implant.  This can be done with stitches, or more reliably with a mesh material.  This is best determined by an in person examination.  
Best of luck to you.

Brian C. Reuben, MD
Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon

Bigger Breast Implants

Without photos and personal consultation, what you will hear from us are simply general assumptions.  But for the sake of giving you some ideas, take note that going beyond your anatomy--especially in terms of existing tissue and skin, chest and breast measurement, body frame, etc.--can lead to higher risk of cosmetic problems such as rippling, palpability, and bottoming out. 

While a 550-600 cc is too big for someone who is petite, this is well tolerated by large-framed women especially if they have a good amount of coverage. 

Take not that internal bra is a general term used to describe internal suturing techniques to reshape or tighten the implant pocket; they are primarily used to prevent implant displacement such as bottoming out and excessive lateral fullness. 

If you want XL breast augmentation, the best thing you can do is find a board-certified plastic surgeon who can explain to you the ramifications of your decision. 

Good luck and best wishes. 

Thank you for the question. Specific advice would necessitate viewing pictures and/or an in-person evaluation. Generally speaking, breast re-augmentation with larger breast implants tends a be a very well-tolerated operation, with less discomfort associated with it. Best, to select a plastic surgeon, and communicative goals carefully. In my practice, I have found these cool photographs very helpful in this communication process. Show him what you are trying to just achieve, given that the “fake look” may mean different things to different people. Then, allow your plastic surgeon to choose the best breast implant size/profile to achieve your goals, after intraoperative evaluation with temporary sizers. In my opinion, if you choose your breast implant size/profile prior to surgery, you run a greater risk of being displeased postoperatively.

The "internal bra" refers to the use of internal sutures (capsulorraphy) used to adjust breast implant pockets, depending on the specific patient's situation.  Its main indication would be a breast implant displacement/malposition problem. It is not always necessary, regardless of the breast implant size utilized.  On the other hand, for some patients who wish to maintain a significant amount of upper pole volume/fullness (achieve the “fake” look), internal suture support may be very helpful in this regard. You may find the attached link, dedicated to revisionary breast surgery concerns, helpful to you as you learn more. Best wishes.

When to consider internal bra with large implants

The general rule is larger implants means more problems, especially things like bottoming out and rippling. The internal bra using SERI Scaffold, GalaFLEX mesh, or Strattice can help to overcome some of these problems. The issue comes down to individual circumstances, and relates a lot to how the tissues have responded to the implants that you have already.

Richard Baxter, MD