Why would the bruising under my eyes from Open Rhinoplasty suddenly be taking so long to improve?

I am 23 days post Open Rhinoplasty. On day 5 almost all of my bruising had turned yellow. On my 7 day checkup my surgeon had to lightly massage the tip of my nose to encourage blood circulation due to swelling. All the bruising around my eyes came back, only worse than what is was when i had just had the surgery. The past 7 days it just does not seem to have gotten better much better at all. Why would the secondary bruising be taking so long to heal when the first bruising healed so quickly?

Post op bruising

Sadly, without photos or better yet, seeing you in person, it is impossible to determine what's going on. Every patient heals at his or her own rate, particularly when it comes to bruising. However, since there has been an increase in your bruising, I think it would be a good idea to schedule an appointment with your surgeon to be assessed in person. Always best to err on the side of caution.

Kindly,

Kouros Azar

Thousand Oaks Plastic Surgeon

Bruising after rhinoplasty

It's hard to answer your question without photos or an exam.  Particularly deep bruising can take several weeks to resolve completely, and sometimes bruising results in skin discoloration (called hemosiderin staining) that can take several months to go away.  You would do best to check in with your rhinoplasty surgeon for his/ her recommendations.  Depending on your issue, time, laser treatment, or certain topical therapies can help.  Good luck!

Inessa Fishman, MD
Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon