BA for asymmetrical breasts - teardrop or round? What would be best to prevent sagging? (Photo)

Yesterday I went for my first consultation with a PS that just specializes in BA. He recommended I get the Allegan FF gel textured teardrop implant (335cc in my right and 375cc) in my left. (Please see pictures attached) he also recommend I get a unilateral mastopexy in my right nipple to make it even with my left breast. My concern is that I am worried using teardrop implants will make my boobs sag even more? Is it possible to use round implants with my breasts or will it not work for me?

BA for asymmetrical breasts - teardrop or round?

These days there are a variety of breast implants available; the variety of breast implant available raise a lot of questions from women considering breast augmentation surgery. Personally, I think that for most patients considering breast augmentation surgery, careful selection of plastic surgeon and careful communication of goals, far outweigh the specific type of breast implant utilized (when it comes to the success of the breast augmentation procedure).

Anatomical breast implants were designed to better simulate the natural breast shape; the problem with these implants is that if they shift or rotate, the entire breast will change shape as well. This change in breast shape may require further surgery to correct. Round implants, under the hand, can shift or rotate without changing the shape of the breasts. Overall, I find that beautiful outcomes can be achieved with the use of round breast implants for the vast majority of patients.

Generally speaking, the best online advice I can give to ladies who are considering breast augmentation surgery ( regarding breast implant size/profile selection) is:

1. Concentrate on choosing your plastic surgeon carefully. Concentrate on appropriate training, certification, and the ability of the plastic surgeon to achieve the results you are looking for. ***Ask to see lots of examples of his/her work.

2. Have a full discussion and communication regarding your desired goals with your plastic surgeon. This communication will be critical in determining breast implant size/type/profile will most likely help achieve your goals. 

In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. For example, I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or "C or D cup" etc means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.

Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on him who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup size may also be inaccurate. Again, the use of computer imaging has been very helpful during the communication process, in our practice.

3. Once you feel you have communicated your goals clearly, allow your plastic surgeon to use his/her years of experience/judgment to choose the breast implant size/profile that will best meet your goals. Again, in my practice, this decision is usually made during surgery, after the use of temporary intraoperative sizers.

I hope this (and the attached link, dedicated to breast augmentation surgery) helps. Best wishes for an outcome that you will be very pleased with. 

Which implants sag more?

Hi,

Thanks for all of the information.

I think the first think is that if you are asking these questions the day after the consultation you, need to ask the surgeon, or think about a second opinion.

There are different ways to achieve the result you are after and each surgeon will have a different view on the best option. To me it is key that you are happy and clear on the decisions and the reasons for them, and at the moment you seem unsure.

Personally I would be happy to use a round or tear drop implant. The result with each will be slightly different but not for the reason of dropping and sagging.

Personally I would not alter the nipple position , I do not think the gain is worth the scars.

As you can see there will differences of opinion as to the pros and cons of the best procedure for you. Be sure you and your surgeon have a clear understanding of what and why the plan is what it is - and then you are ready to consider surgery

I hope that helps

Jeremy Hunt