Rhinoplasty, jaw, chin? Not sure

I've done a little bit of photo shopping and I love my side profile after it... I re touched my chin, nose and jaw. What surgeries would achieve this look? I'm in Australia and 21 years old. Would travel to see the best in the business!!

Profileplasty questions, rhinoplasty and jaw

Hi there,

Thank you for your question. Being able to represent your thoughts about your face using the imaging is very helpful. It gives us an insight into what you are thinking, and that you're thinking deeply about changing some features of your face.

To summarise what you've done - its feminising the face.  Your own face is beautiful, and you're 21. Whay do anything at all?
The reason may be that your features are strong - strong jaw, strong nose. And in your mind, as you've expressed, you would like a softer and prettier appearance.

It almost goes without saying, but is should be said, that your picture is an expression of your thoughts and not an operative result. Human tissue can be different, and there is different potential between different people.

Really, your best path is in person consultations with experienced plastic surgeons working in the face, detailed imaging, and clear understanding with good communication on your behalf and the surgeons behalf.

A plan will emerge.

It will involve rhinoplasty surgery.  It may involve chin or jaw surgery, or it may not. IT would be interesting to model nasal surgery alone.  If it were possible for you to achieve the result you sought without jaw or chin surgery, then that's a big step forward. If not, then it could all be done at one procedure, or could be staged to allow you to assess the positive impact of rhinoplasty alone.

All the best with your search,

Howard Webster
Plastic Surgeon.

Jaw and rhinoplasty to improve profile

Your photo shop imaging indicates a softening of your profile.
I would repeat this imaging using a more powerful software and load images with a more accurate camera .
Then working with you and integrating your aesthetic input we can come up with a realistic goal for a combined rhinoplasty chin surgery option in a one stage operative procedure .
The technical details of the procedure can then be discussed.

Procedures

Hi Grace,
While it's best to have an in-person or video consultation, the most prominent change in your photos would involve a rhinoplasty. Rhinoplasty is a powerful procedure which, when done expertly, can harmonize the rest of the facial features. The more defined jawline that you are seeking may be achieved with non-invasive procedures. We would first need to look at other angles of your face to best determine that. Best of luck!

Jennifer Levine, MD

Rhinoplasty, jaw, chin? Perth, Australia

Hi Grace
Thank you for the question and images. Yes, photo shop is a powerful tool but it is important to discuss your concerns and options with an expert. Looking at your changes I must say they look nice but surgically you may have some issues to think about. A reduction rhinoplasty is a good suggestion. Although you did not present all the views a dorsal reduction and reduction in projection can feminise and soften the nose. A subtle elevation of the tip can also help with these changes.

I can see that you have reduced the prominence of your chin and jaw line. In photo shop this can work well but in the real world it can lead to premature ageing of your face. How you might ask? Essentially when you reduce the underlying framework you create a redundancy of skin. Excess skin leads to facial ageing, the counter measure being a facelift but you are too young for this. When I discuss chin / jaw reductions with patients I always educate them on this possibility. Generally with chin reductions I will either maintain or slightly increase the vertical length of the chin. This is a measure to compensate for any loosing of the skin envelop avoiding premature ageing. 

You are young and attractive, so subtle refinements are the key over major changes. Be sure to seek out expert advice. 

Good luck.

Dr Guy Watts

#facial profile

Hi Grace.  It is difficult to say exactly which procedures would be best for you from the images shown however suffice to say that you will get the most value and effect from a rhinoplasty.  Any chin or jaw reshaping will be more subtle and may even be able to be achieved without surgery. ie by using botox in the masseter muscles of the jaw the jaw can be slimmed and become more refined.
Hope this helps.

Regards
Damien

Rhinoplasty, but leave your chin and jaw alone!

Hi. Just found this question of yours!

See the "Web reference" link, just below my response. I made a computer morph of your nose, and an animation of the morph, to show the changes that are possible for your nose in truly expert hands. I used a larger photo from a previous post. I elevated the tip of your nose, lowered the bridge, and narrowed the tip. Actually, depending on your preferences, the bridge could be lowered even a little more, and the tip elevated a little more, and it'd still look very good.

Your chin is nice and strong, and I wouldn't touch it.

You should understand that the changes I demonstrated in the morph require advanced techniques, techniques that most plastic surgeons cannot handle.  Be sure to read the section in the "Web reference" link on how to stay out of trouble while searching for a rhinoplasty surgeon.

Your nose is also a good example of why computer imaging is mandatory in rhinoplasty. You need to know exactly what the surgeon is planning to accomplish -- what features he thinks he can change, and by how much he thinks he can change them. When you see his goals, you'll know whether he has an eye for a beautiful nose, and whether he shares your opinion of what constitutes a beautiful nose. You'll also know whether the changes he proposes are enough to be meaningful to you, and whether he understands your wishes enough to address all of your priorities. Then, he must show you before and after photos to prove that he can actually accomplish what he draws on the computer.

Steven M. Denenberg, MD
Omaha Facial Plastic Surgeon

Softening your profile

Hi GraceYour' current photo and the photoshopped image are both beautiful and the decision on which is better is highly personal. Your current profile is strong but well balanced, the modified image is softer and more delicate but perhaps the chin is a little too weak. These are obviously just preliminary working images and a more comprehensive discussion would be needed with more accurate imaging but think carefully and long before doing anything. You look great the way you are. All surgery carries some risk and if the aim is to modify what is already excellent then the benefit of change is minimal whist the chance of disappointment is high. Cosmetic surgery is done by choice not necessity, the role of the surgeon is to both guide you with decision making as well as perform a precise operation to deliver the predicted result. Sometimes it is best to do nothing.