Asymmetry and crater deformity are reduced when nipples are hard. Does this indicate fat loss can reduce asymmetry or crater?

I saw a surgeon for gynecomastia (asymmetry and puffy nipples) in 2011. He insisted that liposuction was enough. A year post the liposuction procedure, gynecomastia persisted. In 2013, I saw another surgeon, who decided to remove excess tissue from both sides through an incision below the areola. Now, gynecomastia is gone but there is more asymmetry and there is crater deformity on my left side (appears only upon animation). Asymmetry and crater are reduced when the nipples are hard.

Doctor Answers 4

Assymetry & Indentation Years after Gynecomastia Surgery

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

It's possible that any indentations could be addressed with fat grafting or cosmetic filler(s) if eligible. Typically, its best to wait at least one year following the initial surgery to consider a revision. It is imperative you select a plastic surgeon who is #board-certified and has a great deal of experience with male breast #reduction. Plastic surgeons who have specialized in breast surgery and cosmetic surgery are suitable to perform your procedure. Aside from checking board-certification, it is suggested that you look at before and after photos of the surgeons actual patients, and read patient reviews. Gathering all of this information will help you make a well-informed decision.

Please be advised that each patient is unique and previous results are not a guarantee for individual outcomes. As with all cosmetic surgery, results will be rewarding if expectations are realistic. With any surgical procedure, there are some risks which your doctor will discuss with you during your consultation.

Orange County Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 116 reviews

Asymmetry and crater deformity after gynecomastia.

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Hello and thank you for your question regarding gynecomastia. This is a difficult question to answer without pictures. However, without pictures and a thorough physical examination, I will make some generalities regarding your particular situation after male breast liposuction and then breast tissue removal for gynecomastia. It sounds like you have loss of tissue after your breast reduction for gynecomastia. This is not uncommon. Based on your history and description, I would suggest fat grafting. Usually, fat can be harvested from your abdomen, processed, and transferred to your chest. I would concentrate your fat transfer to the crater deformity on your left side. In addition, I would transfer fat into the pectoralis major muscle to make you more muscular. I would only seek a plastic surgeon who is significantly trained and has a significant amount of experience transferring fat to the male chest and specifically into the pectoralis major muscle.

Good luck. I hope this answers your question regarding asymmetry and crater deformity after gynecomastia surgery. If you have any more questions regarding gynecomastia or gynecomastia surgery revision, please contact my office. Sincerely, Dr. Katzen.

J. Timothy Katzen, MD, FACS
Los Angeles Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 254 reviews

S/p gynecomastia revision surgery

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Pictures would certainly be helpful as would an in person examination to observe what you are describing and feel the soft tissues. Best advice is to obtain one or more consultations with a board certified plastic surgeon for an evaluation, discussion of diagnosis and treatment options.


{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Thank you for the question but an examination or photos are needed to make an accurate recommendation so see some experts in the area and get their opinions in person.Dr. Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD
Los Angeles Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 65 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.