5.5 months post op, I'm afraid that my hair transplant might be growing poorly. Any suggestions? (photos)

Hello. I had a hair transplant approximately 5.5 months ago, on May 21st... The grafts per cm that were surgically implanted were about 72 grafts/cm, so the desnity of the final result should be cosmetically thick. The problem is that I'm afraid that I'm growing slower than most cases seen online, and might be at risk of an overall failed operation. How much progress should a patient have made in the same time I've passed since surgery?

5.5 months Post Op

It's too early to see good results.  Typically 6 months is when patients see some results and that starts to become much better leading to full results at about the 12 month point.  However from your pictures you have quite a bit of redness in the area which is not very common this far after your procedure.  I would recommend seeing your doctor regarding that.

Irvine Hair Restoration Surgeon

5.5 After Hair Transplant

5.5 month is not enough to judge the end result of a hair transplant.  I see significant redness on transplanted area that seems a little more than what we should see at this stage (assuming that the photos are recent).

Please see your doctor for the redness. However hair growth is best to be evaluated at 10-12 months.

Parsa Mohebi, MD
Beverly Hills Hair Restoration Surgeon

Hair transplant growing poorly at 5 months

You must wait for a full 8 months before judging the results of the hair transplant. At 8 months you will have 80% of the hair growth that you can expect and the rest in a year or so. Your doctor needs to evaluate the redness in your recipient area.

William Rassman, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Five months post o

At this point you can expect about thirty. Percent growth.  Most of the transplanted hair grows in between eight to twelve months. So be patient.

Michael Meshkin, MD
Newport Beach Hair Restoration Surgeon

One year

You will lose your transplanted hair as well as some of your native hair weeks after surgery. You may look
worse before it starts to look better. It may take 6 to 12 months to see the results of a hair transplant
surgery. It is always a good idea to follow up with your doctor for a recheck if you have concerns.

Jae Pak, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Hair

Thanks for the photos.  It may be up to 12 months before you start seeing significant growth.  The best thing to do would be to follow up with your doc and express your concerns. However, I'm confident he or she will offer similar opinion. 

Tim Neavin, MD

Transplant growth

It can take 18 months so you should be patient.  Also, you are pretty close to over packing in the grafts and this sometimes hurts success rates. 

Rashid M. Rashid, PhD, MD
Houston Dermatologist

Failed Hair Transpalnt Too Early to Tell

Without actually seeing before pictures as well as after pictures it is difficult reasonably assess hair transplant failure. Has the hair begun to regrow? In general hair in the transplanted area will begin to regrow between 2 and 5 months after surgery. The hair follicles will not all awaken at the same time, they awaken over a 6 month period, the hairs that regrow are finer in texture at first and will thicken over time. You may be early in the regrowth process. Most patients will achieve full results approximately 1 year after surgery. What concerns me the most about your post is the 72 grafts/square centimeter. You may want to discuss this your doctor. In general 72 recipient sites in 1 centimeter squared is not reasonable. You may be mistaken, it may be 72 hairs. Ask your doctor.

Brian Goertz, MD
Seattle Hair Restoration Surgeon