Can I achieve a refined bulbous tip if I have extremely thick skin and scar tissue from a previous rhinoplasty? (Photo)

I've had primary rhinoplasty to try an achieve a more refine nose. Unfortunately, I now have scar tissue and tip is still bulbous!. The surgeon made verticals incisions down the front of my nostril to thin the skin. I have travelled far and wide to consult with claimed leading surgeons who are unable to provide improvement. Please help!!

Scheduling a Revision Rhinoplasty Consultation is Your First Step

Hello:Revision Rhinoplasty often happens when a patient, such as yourself, has to undergo an additional rhinoplasty surgery because they did not achieve the results they desired initially. My speciality is in Revision Rhinoplasty and while I have not examined you in person, I do see from the pictures you posted that you still have a bulbous tip. I am sorry that you have travelled far and wide to find the surgical result you would desire. I am pleased to offer all of my patients a Virtual Rhinoplasty which utilizes the latest in computer imaging and technology to provide rhinoplasty patients with the ability to see what finished results will look like before ever stepping foot in the surgical suite. Please do your research and look for a board certified facial plastic surgeon that specializes in revision rhinoplasty. Experience, accreditation and certification all matter.Sincerely,Philip J. Miller, MD, FACSDouble Board Certified Facial Plastic Surgeon

Revision Rhinoplasty for Thick bulbous tip

Thank you for your question.  It's hard to tell from your photos but it does appear as if you have thick skin and possibly scar formation under the skin from your previous surgery.  Some individuals, especially those with thicker skin or those who have pigmented skin, can produce more scar tissue under the skin which makes refinement difficult.  Of course, you can't change the skin, and if you made scar tissue once, chances are, even if you remove the scar tissue, your body will make it again.  I would consider seeing a revision rhinoplasty surgeon who specializes in thicker skin types.  Our practice is 30% ethnic skin and I have seen some patients get the same result you show here because of the skin type and healing response.  I think there are still things you can try but starting with a revision rhinoplasty surgeon is paramount. 

Mike Majmundar, MD
Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon