Am I a candidate for a chin implant? (Photo)

You can see the outline of my chin through my beard. Is my chin too recessed for a chin implant to be sufficient? Also, since my jaw is sloping downwards I'm concerned a chin implant will add a lot of vertical width to my face, which is what I don't want.

Chin implant

Hi ratfacemcgee,
Even though you have a beard and it is not entirely possible to clearly see the outline of your jaw, enough of it can be seen to determine that you would be a good candidate for a chin implant. Chin implants come in many different shapes and sizes and you should consult your doctor on the appropriate implant for you to get the most appropriate projection and width.
Best regards,
Warwick Nettle

Chin implant?

You may be a good candidate for an advancement genioplasty.  The chin could be advanced and shortened if needed at the same time. This is done with an intraoral incision.  Find a surgeon who does frequent chin surgery for the best outcome.  Good luck.  Donald R. Nunn MD, DDS  Atlanta Plastic Surgeon

Donald Nunn, MD

Am I a candidate for a chin implant?

Hi, I have performed many Chin Augmentations using chin implants for over 30 years. From the photos, your chin is weak. A weak chin creates an imbalance making the nose appear larger, the mid face top heavy and the lower face look short that de-emphasizes the lips and allows early formation of a double chin. Chin augmentation using a chin implant will add projection to the chin creating harmony and balance to the lower face.

I have found that placement of a silastic chin implant, through a small curved incision under the chin (also allows excess skin removal) to be very safe, quick, highly effective and far less invasive than a sliding genioplasty. I perform chin implant surgery in 30 minutes or less, often using a local anesthetic alone. In my opinion, you are a good candidate for chin implant surgery.

Hope this helps.

Chin implant

Thanks for sharing.  In general if you dropped a vertical line from where the lower lip meets the white lip, the male chin should touch this line.  That said, you are a bit behind this line and augmentation would get you closer to this ideal proportion.  Consult in person with an experienced board certified facial plastic / plastic surgeon to review your options. 

Raymond E. Lee, MD