4 months post op swelling - tummy tuck. (photos)

4 months post op, unhappy with a still bulging tummy. Surgeon not concerned but I am not happy with the way i look. Slim build, 5'2 and 51kg. Muscle separation repair and excess skin removed. Not sure if i look normal and can expect results to get better?

Tummy Tuck Post 4 Months

Thank you for your question and photos. A couple more months will determine whether you have residual swelling present in the abdomen which could go down. Lax muscles will allow the abdomen to protrude and visceral/intra-abdominal fat cannot be removed through a tummy tuck. Regular exercise and diet are the only options to strengthen muscles and reduce visceral fat.

All the best

Muscle repair.

I'm sorry to hear you're unhappy with your experience. Your tummy really shows before and after the surgery - there is only mild improvements. You may have to consider a revision in the future for the muscles with mesh or dermal graft support for those weak muscles. You should probably lose weight and change your diet to avoid simple sugars. It seems to me you're storing your fatty excess inside the abdominal wall and without fat loss there it will be hard to make you look flatter. I would not recommend revision until 1 year out and concentrating your efforts to drop that intra-abdominal fat volume. Best, Dr. Aldo

Aldo Guerra, MD

Tummy tuck results

It appears you are healing well. From a surgical standpoint, it looks like everything is on target with healing. After surgery you are not allowed to do any abdominal exercises for about 8 weeks to make sure you do not damage the muscle repair. The fullness you are seeing in your belly is more than likely because your abdominal muscles are weak. You need to start doing core exercises and strengthening your abdominals back up to help tighten up the belly.  If you are not sure how to proceed, contact your surgeon and ask their recommendations. Good luck

Francis Johns, MD
Greensburg Plastic Surgeon

How To Enhance Tummy Tuck Results

It occurs to me that your tummy tuck was done properly with a repair of the diastasis recti (muscle separation).  Any remaining laxity in the abdominal wall that remains is a result of inherent muscle weakness.  This can be addressed with a return to exercise.  At four months post-op, there should be no limitations on you.  The muscle repair should be nicely healed and you can head to the Pilates studio to finish up what your surgeon started.

Thomas P. Sterry, MD