2 weeks post Juvederm in tear troughs and cheeks, I have massive swelling that has just appeared?

I've previously had Juvaderm by a doctor who I trust. Went to have tear troughs/ cheeks filled 2 weeks ago and there was barely any bruising and minor swelling. However yesterday I woke up with minor swelling through cheeks and under eye area, today I am so puffy I can barely open my eyes! It appears to be mainly water but it does feel a tiny bit sore, not hot or red. Is this a normal? I know Restalyn draws water to the area, but it seems very late to be getting this kind of puffiness?

Excessive Swelling

It seems like your hyaluronic acid filler has drawn more water to your eyes causing excessive swelling. You can take a steroid to help reduce your swelling. It is also wise to rule out a potential infection, which I do not think you have. Please contact your treating physician right away. 

Summit Emergency Medicine Physician

Severe swelling after Juvederm 2 weeks ago?

This is not normal and needs immediate evaluation. This can represent angioedema or infection. Either way, treatment most likely needs to be started today.

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Delayed edema after fillers

Fillers can sometimes lead to delayed swelling especially in areas around the eyes.  It is not known why this occurs; however, it seems to be related to systemic inflammatory responses to environmental allergies, a cold, or major changes in environments like long travel.  If there is no redness or warmth, it is unlikely to be an infections.  Call your physician to discuss.  Taking anti-inflammatories or anti-histamines may help if it is a delayed edema reaction.  Best of luck.

Kyle Coleman, MD
New Orleans Dermatologic Surgeon

Swelling can occur, but major swelling as your describing should be evaluated by your doctor.  It's best to rule out any potential infection of the area.  Best wishes.

Camille Cash, MD