11 days post BA - could this be early sign of hematoma? (Photos)

Worried about my left breast. It had some bruising after surgery (none on right) but it has seemed better than my right so far with good sensation. Today it's quite a bit more sore & feeling bruised & achy. Looked & greenish bruising has subsided there is now a small angry dark purple bruise. Could I be developing a hematoma at this stage or is it just the course of bruising/healing? I will call my surgeon of course but since it is night here I thought I might get some insights. Thanks!

Potential Hematoma after Augmentation

There is always the potential for hematoma after surgery, and the best person to visit to have this evaluated is your own plastic surgeon. Healing will go on for 2-3 months for the early period.  There may be some swelling, bruising, malposition, color differences.   Sensation will be abnormal.  Scars will be changing. If my patients have concerns that something is unusual about their healing process, it is important for them to call the office and discuss these concerns or come in to be examined.

Always contact your plastic surgeon if you have concerns about post-operative infection, bleeding, swelling, fever, excessive bruising, or any new and sudden changes in the feeling or look of your implants, breasts or incisions.

Any of the following may be post-op difficulties, about which it is best to contact your surgeon directly:

·       Excessive bleeding (hematoma) and bruising

·       Reduced sensation of #nipple

·       Deflation/rupture

·       Capsular contracture

·       Wrinkling/rippling. Palpable and/or visible

·       Firmness, and distorted appearance

·       Interference with breast feeding

·       Mammogram interference

·       Cost for revision surgery if necessary

·       Calcium deposits in the tissue around the implant

·       Breast tissue atrophy/chest wall deformity

·       Hypertrophic scarring

·       Tissue loss

·       Infection requiring antibiotics or implant removal

After BA bruising

Hi, the bruising doesn't look like much and your breasts look similar and one not significantly larger, which might indicate a haematoma. I don't think you should be worried, but your surgeon will assess you better than a photo. All the best, Dr Steve Merten, Sydney, Australia

11 days post BA - could this be early sign of hematoma? Perth, Australia

Thank you for your question and images. From the pictures provided there does not seem and obvious cause for concern. The changing colouration itself represents normal post operative changes, change in size or firmness of the breast is more indicative of a haematoma. The best thing to do is check with your plastic surgeon in the morning. Good luck.

Regards

Dr Guy Watts 

Haematoma

This does not look like a haematoma which is excessively painful and usually with marked swelling on the affected side. I think this is simply some bruising coming to the surface on the underside of this breast. But best to check with your surgeon or his/her nurse of course

Hematoma at 10 days post-op is usually not very subtle

While a hematoma is a collection of blood around a breast implant, and such collections of blood usually cause some degree of bruising, we have to remember that bruising is not the only sign that we get when we have a hematoma, nor is it usually the primary presenting complaint.  Most breast augmentations cause at least a little bit of bleeding into the pocket, and this will eventually show through the skin as a bruise.  Thus, bruising alone is very common after breast augmentation, and it is usually very mild and limited, as yours appears to be here.  The more concerning signs of a hematoma, which you don't appear to have, are intense swelling - most times altering the shape of the breast and even up to the armpit, intense pain - especially pain more on one side than the other, and tightness and distortion of the skin of the breast.  In the absence of those things in addition to the bruising, I would suspect your bruising is the normal thing we see after breast augmentation.  Additionally, the swelling, or mild asymmetry that you appear to have between the breasts right now is also very normal at this stage of the game, and it doesn't appear to be consistent with hematoma, either.  In the end, your own surgeon will make the call, and I definitely agree that you should call him today, but I think you can breathe a sigh of relief right now, as I'll bet he will find that there is no hematoma.  

Breast Augmentation Recovery

It appears that you have the normal amount of swelling/bruising related to the healing process of a breast augmentation. The first day post op will be more true to how your breast will ultimately look, after the first day the swelling significantly increases, making them seem super large and very uncomfortable. Hope this helps!  

Jaime Perez, MD

Bruise

The small bruise that you have is consistent with normal post operative healing and does not appear to be a hematoma.

Barry M. Schwartz, MD
Weston Plastic Surgeon

Bruising after surgery

Good Afternoon and thank you for your questions and pictures. It’s seem as if it were a small bruising which is usually normal as a part of healing process, however you should always continue your follow-up with your board certified plastic surgeon.  

Rafael Gottenger, MD

Breast augmentation recovery

It appears to be normal bruising associated with the healing process.  There doesn't appear to be evidence of a hematoma.  Continue to follow your surgeon's advice during your recovery.

Camille Cash, MD

11 days post breast augmentation

Thank you for your question and photo's , it appears to be bruising, which is normal ,that has changed color and probably with gravity, it is at the base of your breast.  It does not appear to be a hematoma.

Chad Robbins, MD