10 days Post op (Gynecomastia). Left side still has a lot of fat I think. Is there any way I can tell if it's fluid or fat?

I feel a bit sad because I am so happy with the right side (looks great), but my left side still feels very puffy and big and still has that 'man boob' kind of look. I will try to add a photo later but is there any way I can tell if its fluid or fat or if its just swollen? How long will it take to settle to normal? Also, how long until I can play tennis and sports again do you think? I was so excited going into surgery but this left side has made me sad.

Healing & Assymetry After Male Breast Reduction

Asymmetry during the healing process is not at all uncommon after any breast surgery.  Also, your incisions will go through a maturation #process following #Gynecomastia #surgery. For the first few months they will be red and possibly raised and/or firm. As the scar matures, after 6-12 months, it becomes soft, pale, flat, and much less noticeable. You may experience numbness, tingling, burning, “crawling”, or other peculiar sensations around the surgical area. This is a result of the #healing of tiny fibers which are trapped in the incision site. These symptoms will disappear. Some people are prone to keloids, which is an abnormal scar that becomes prominent. If you or a blood relative has a tendency to keloid formation, please inform the doctor.

A collection of fluid under the skin occurs occasionally during the postoperative period. Aspiration of the fluid with a needle is frequently helpful. Secondary surgery is rarely necessary. Bruising and #swelling are normal and usually increase slightly after the removal of any tape or foam. The bruising will decrease over 3-4 weeks, but may last as long as 6 weeks. The majority of the swelling will be gone within the first 3-4 weeks. However, it may take 6-9 weeks to disappear completely. 

Also, as you heal, the area may feel “lumpy” and irregular. This, too, decreases with time, and massaging these areas will help soften the scar tissue. The #compression garment helps reduce the swelling, and the longer it is worn, the more quickly you will #heal. It can also assist in the retraction of the skin.

If you have any concerns about #healing, its best to ask questions of your surgeon or their nursing staff.

Swelling after gynaecomastia

Hi and thanks for your question. 

Congratulations on your recent surgery. It is still very early days and I wouldn't draw any conclusions just yet. If you apply pressure with your fingertip over the left swollen chest for 30 seconds and then release it, if fluid is the cause a depression will remain behind, if fat is the cause there will be little to no depression. 
I would simply continue wearing your pressure garment for the next 4-5 weeks and avoid sleeping left side downwards if possible. It will take at least 12 weeks to draw any conclusions and may take 12 months for the final results to be achieved. I would avoid sport for 6 weeks. 
Discuss all these issues with your Specialist Plastic Surgeon, you'll be in safe hands. 

Post operative asymmetry

It may take several weeks for you breasts to even out.  There may be a fluid collection that your surgeon can drain, to help speed up your recovery.

John Dean, MD
Baton Rouge Plastic Surgeon