I'm worried my surgeons recommended implant size will be larger than I want? (Photos)

My surgeon is bringing in 325-385cc moderate plus profile range for my surgery this Friday. I had always tried on 275-300cc and felt good with the size. I am very small 32A now. I'm tall and thin (5'-9", 135 lbs) I like having a lean torso and don't want very large boobs. I was always thinking full b -small c. I don't want to look heavy when viewed from an angle. Will this 325-385 range still give me relatively small implants in my desired range or should I ask my surgeon to reduce the size?

Worried about implants being too big

Thank you for your question. Breast implant selection is an important process and requires good communication between you and your surgeon. Typically, breast measurements are initially obtained to provide an initial guide to implants appropriate for your chest. It's then advised that you try different sizers in a normal bra with a tight t-shirt to get an idea of what your breasts would look like. It's important to focus on the look that you want and not overly focus on a specific cup size or implant size.  It's crucial that you reconcile differences in opinion before proceeding with surgery and that you're comfortable with the size of your implants.  Be sure to go over this again with your plastic surgeon. Good luck!

I'm worried my surgeons recommended implant size will be larger than I want?

Ultimately, careful communication of your goals (in my practice I prefer the use of goal pictures, direct examination/communication in front of a full-length mirror, in bra sizers, and computer imaging) as well as careful measurements (dimensional planning) will be critical.

***Given your concerns (and that your surgery is coming up soon), I would suggest that you spend additional time communicating your goals/concerns directly with your plastic surgeon, preferably prior to the date of surgery.

Generally speaking, the best online advice I can give to ladies who are considering breast augmentation surgery ( regarding breast implant size/profile selection) is:

1. Concentrate on choosing your plastic surgeon carefully. Concentrate on appropriate training, certification, and the ability of the plastic surgeon to achieve the results you are looking for. Ask to see lots of examples of his/her work.

2. Have a full discussion and communication regarding your desired goals with your plastic surgeon. This communication will be critical in determining breast implant size/type/profile will most likely help achieve your goals. 

In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. For example, I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or "full B, small C cup" etc means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.

Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on him who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup size may also be inaccurate. Again, the use of computer imaging has been very helpful during the communication process, in our practice.

3. Once you feel you have communicated your goals clearly, allow your plastic surgeon to use his/her years of experience/judgment to choose the breast implant size/profile that will best meet your goals. Again, in my practice, this decision is usually made during surgery, after the use of temporary intraoperative sizers.

I hope this (and the attached link, dedicated to breast augmentation surgery concerns) helps. Best wishes for an outcome that you will be very pleased with. 

Choosing the Right Size Implant for Breast Augmentation #breastimplants #breastaugmentation

• It is very important that you feel comfortable with the size implant that will be used for your breast augmentation.
  • We have our patients do sizing in our office with the assistance of our very experienced staff.  Our breast augmentation patients do this on the day of their initial consult, and on the day of their pre-op appointment. 
  • On the day of the breast augmentation operation I have the implants that the patient has chosen, and those are the implants that are placed.  Using the above-mentioned sizing exercises in our office, our revision rate for patients being unhappy with their breast implant size is close to zero. 
  • In addition to having our patients try on sizers, we also take careful breast measurements and help guide our patients when they choose an implant size, but ultimately the decision on size is entirely theirs. 
  • Definitely discuss your concerns with your plastic surgeon prior to your operative day!  
  • Thanks for sharing!

Worried about implant size being too large

Hi, nat423

If you are concerned about your surgery (implant options, size, profile, ect), you should talk with your plastic surgeon again prior to surgery.  Your plastic surgeon has examined your body and listened to your goal in-person; he/she would be in a better position than online surgeons to make the recommendation.

Although 325-385cc is not a very large implant, it will depend on your body and your goal.

Your plastic surgeon should be able to allay your concern.

Go with the smaller implants

Hi.  I think that if you felt good when you tried smaller sizes, then you should clearly communicate this to your plastic surgeon.  It seems that the moderate plus profile in the 325-285cc range might be too big if you liked the smaller ones, and they might also be too wide for your narrow chest.  I would agree more with the size that you chose vs. the larger ones.  Best of luck!

Jonathan Heistein, MD
Fort Worth Plastic Surgeon

Breast Implants/Breast Augmentation/Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/ Silicone Implants/Breast Implant Revision Surgery

I appreciate your question.

The size of implant best for you is dictated by your chest wall measurements.  Once we determine that we can choose the profile based on what you want or need to achieve.  If you are seeking a natural look, then the diameter of the implant should be equal to or, more ideally, smaller than the width of your breast. The breast width is a measurement of how wide your breast is at the base, which should be measured at the level of the nipple. Choosing an implant that is smaller in diameter than your breast width will avoid the "side breast" fullness that is often associated with a more artificial appearance.  Other than that, you should choose the implant based on volume, not on the dimensions of the implant. You should choose a board certified plastic surgeon that you trust to help guide you in this decision.  

Silicone will give you a fullness at the top (upper pole fullness).

Silicone implants come pre-filled with a silicone gel and are the softest implant available. They feel more natural, which makes them a good option for women with less natural breast tissue; but they require a larger incision. It may be more difficult to realize if this type of implant has ruptured, so it is important to monitor them with annual follow-up visits. Additionally, because this implant contains a more liquid silicone (less cross-linked), if this implant should rupture, it will leak only into the scar capsule formed around the implant but may cause some discomfort or implant distortion.

Anatomic gummy bear implants might be a good choice to give you volume.

These highly-sought-after, anatomic implants offer a look that more closely resembles the natural silhouette of a breast, and, therefore, are a very attractive option for individuals seeking a natural-looking, aesthetic primary breast augmentation. Additionally, these implants are an especially excellent option for patients undergoing restorative or corrective breast surgery because they provide more stability, shape, and reduced incidence of capsular contracture. Compared to other types of silicone gel implants, the silicone in the cohesive gel implant is more cross-linked; therefore, should the implant shell “rupture,” it maintains its shape and silicone does not leak.

During your breast augmentation consultation, you should feel the different types of implants available, and try on various implant sizers in front of a mirror to help you to get an idea of how you will look following the surgery. You should also bring pictures of the look you would like to achieve, as well as a favorite top to wear when trying on implant sizers.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.

Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

#RealSelf100Surgeon

#RealSelfCORESurgeon

Vectra imaging might help

Thanks for your question and the photos. I don't believe in external sizers. The quality of the skin's elasticity and density of the breast gland is extremely important in the outcome. This, combined with the base diameter of the breast are critical to planning. External sizers don't allow for this.The Vectra 3D imaging allows implants to be "tried on" with real time simulations of various volumes, shapes and profiles. Nothing is guaranteed, but it is a much better predictor of outcomes. If you don't feel like you are on the same page with your surgeon you should get another opinion. This should not be a big leap of faith on your part. Best of Luck!

M. Scott Haydon, MD

It is difficult to give a precise answer with the information available however for a small 32 A cup I would be thinking more in the range of 260 to 320 mL for you.  Factors that might affect the size are the amount of skin available, pregnancies causing greater skin distensability and need for more volume, and the width of your chest and breasts.  Make sure that you are comfortable with your surgeon's plan and enjoy your results.  The video above will give you some more information of interest.

Jon A Perlman M.D., FACS
Diplomate, American Board of Plastic Surgery
Member, American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS)
ABC-TV Extreme Makeover Surgeon
Beverly Hills, California

Jon A. Perlman, MD

The best cosmetic result in any particular breast augmentation patient depends on a variety of factors, including: Your individual anatomy, desired outcome, realistic expectations, a thorough discussion with the plastic surgeon about the options, and an understanding of the pros and cons of any particular implant choice. Proper sizing is not just about the number of cc’s. The thickness of your tissue, breast dimensions which include the width, height, and projection, as well as chest wall width all need to be considered when choosing an implant. Trying on implant “sizers” of various shapes and volumes while wearing a tight t-shirt, bra, or bathing sit at a preoperative visit will help you and your surgeon choose the optimal implant.

There are no manufacturers' standards for cup sizing in the bra industry. The cups of a 32 C and a 36 C are significantly different. Cup size varies from manufacturer to manufacturer and even within styles from any particular manufacturer. Nor is there a direct correlation between implant shape or size and cup size.

Keep in mind that following the advice from a surgeon on this or any other website who proposes to tell you exactly what to do without examining you, physically feeling the tissue, assessing your desired outcome, taking a full medical history, and discussing the pros and cons of each operative procedure would not be in your best interest. I would suggest that your plastic surgeon be certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and ideally a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) that you trust and are comfortable with. If you have concerns about the implant size, you should discuss your concerns with that surgeon in person. 

Robert Singer, MD FACS

La Jolla, California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Choosing Implant Size

Thank you for your question. Choosing implants is based upon many factors including breast size and width, any droopiness and the degree of skin laxity. Implant size choices are based upon these factors, but ultimately have to take into account patient's wishes and adapt as needed. It is hard to make these decisions without a lengthy discussion and physical examination. I would recommend being frank with your surgeon as what your wishes are. That being said, most patients that would change their implant size after surgery would rather be bigger than smaller. Be sure to see a board-certified plastic surgeon. Hope this helps.

Evan W Beale, MD