Is there any way for a woman to have surgery to only get a penis? To surgically get a penis do you need to take male hormones?

Neophalloplasty: Maintain Female Genitalia

Thank you for your question.  Yes, it is possible to perform a phalloplasty to create a neophallus (penis) without affecting the female genitalia.  There are different techniques.  One technique involves creating the penis from forearm skin, which can be disfiguring.  The other technique uses abdominal skin, which typical leaves one with a more appealing abdominal scar, is less invasive, and the cost is typically much less.  

The abdominal skin technique is the one offered at our practice.  Male hormones are not required for this type of surgery.  I was personally trained on this technique of neophallus creation by the creator of this technique.  The new penis would not have a urethra and would not be able to obtain an erection without the insertion of an artificial device, if one chooses.  The cost of the surgery is dependent upon several factors.  Please refer to our website for additional information. Prior to surgery, all patients require evaluation by an appropriate psychologist and receive the appropriate counseling. 

I wish you the best of luck.    

Jeffrey S. Palmer, MD, FACS, FAAP (Cosmetic Urologist - Cleveland, Ohio)

Cleveland Urologist