Would I need a vagina rejuvenation to fix this? (Photo)

I'm really self conscious about my vagina after having kids, nothing's the same. During sex I always queef and it's so embarrassing my husband never complains about sex he always has organism it's just me. I don't feel beautiful down there, after having my first kid she tore me and I had to get stitches and I don't feel like I got stitched properly Please help what would I have to do to fix this issue to stop queefing && be tighter && also my left labias a lot longer than my right.

Doctor Answers 13

Most Likely, Yes

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Thank you for your question - I know it's not the easiest thing to talk about!  Vaginal laxity after childbirth (which is exactly what you are describing) is VERY common and symptoms can vary from almost nothing to extremely severe (urinary and/or fecal incontinence, prolapse, pain with intercourse, etc.).  You should see a board certified Gynecologist who has either fellowship training in pelvic reconstructive surgery or at least a focus in that area.  From what I can see in the photos and from what you say in your question, it is likely that you will need surgery in order to get the results you are seeking.  A good physical examination would be required in order to fully assess the degree of pelvic relaxation you have.  Based on that, a recommendation can be made as to treatment options.  One option that may be possible is a non-surgical one - ThermiVa.  A labiaplasty surgery to correct the asymmetric appearance of your labia would likely still be necessary, with or without vaginal surgery.

Vaginal rejuvenation

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
From your photos and your concerns, you are a great candidate for a vaginal rejuvenation and a labiaplasty. Most women see a boost in their self-esteem, their sexual satisfaction/pleasure, and feel good about the way they look in their genital areas.  I would recommend that you see an experienced cosmetic surgeon/gynecologist to give you the best aesthetic results.

Do I need my vagina rejuvenated ?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Visually for your picture you can see excess of labia minora and some gapping. You could benefit from two things one would recommend and maybe you could benefit from two things one would recommend a labiaplasty to fix the labia and second would recommend a device called thermiVa . Is a device that uses radiofrequency to tighten the internal structures of the vagina. It is minimally invasive and you can  have sexual activity that night.  Do some research before you consult and there is a solution. Good luck !!

Jonathan Weiler, MD
Baton Rouge Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 93 reviews

Wide open, asymmetrical and "queefing:" Do I "need" Vaginal Rejuvenation?" "Vaginoplasty?" Labiaplasty? What should I do??

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
While you have a "normal" appearance that many women have after traumatic childbirth, there is definitely something you can do to rectify both your visual and functional (sexual) concerns.  What I see is labial dissymmetry, some redundancy of one clitoral hood fold, and "gaping" of the vaginal opening. Of course, I cannot see "inside," but would conclude from both your appearance and symptoms that you have sustained damage to the vaginal/pelvic for and both muscular continuity and strength. While it's not discussed all that often, many women experience "queefing." A "queef" is an expulsion of wind from the vulva during coitus; a vaginal fart, and is quite disconcerting for women when it occurs (although we guys do not mind-- we're so occupied with "...other things..!)

All of these factors: labial appearance, appearance and snugness of the opening, and tightness, "angle," and muscular strength of the "vaginal barrel" are eminently "fixable" by an experienced, well-trained gynecologic surgeon who specialized in pelvic floor surgery specifically for tightening, sexual enhancement, and aesthetic appearance. That is SO IMPORTANT- to find just the right surgeon to work with!

My recommendation is to consult with at least 2 experienced genital plastic/cosmetic surgeons. Do not be afraid to "travel" to fine the right person. The specific procedures that will help you, in my opinion, are: reductive labiaplasty with clitoral hood reduction; perineal reconstruction ("perineoplasty"), and vaginal/pelvic floor reconstruction (aka "vaginoplasty"0, followed up with a long series of pelvic floor therapy strengthening exercises. All together, these surgeries are sometimes referred to as "..Vaginal Rejuvenation."

The link below and other educational material on this site may help you. Very best wishes,

Michael P Goodman MD
Davis, CA

Vaginal rejuvenation?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Non-surgical options beyond Kegal exercises are very limited in their long-term efficacy, especially if there is a mechanical defect such as an episiotomy incision that was improperly are inadequately closed after childbirth.
Your story and concerns are in good company with almost ever other patient that undergoes vaginal rejuvenation. Based upon your photos, your anatomy as well is very typical of someone who seriously considers having these procedures and turns out to be an enormous (sexual) self-confidence booster thereafter.
Again, like most other surgery, the experience of and “attention to detail” (a.k.a. compulsiveness) by the surgeon is the most important element to achieving a good result. Although there is some merit to Kegal exercises, many patients with laxity after natural vaginal birth fail to obtain sufficient tightening. For these patients, vaginoplasty, tightening of the vaginal vault muscles from the introits (opening) up to the cervix is typically the best solution. The procedure is commonly done on an outpatient basis in about an hour under either deep intravenous sedation or general anesthesia. Recovery is gradual but probably the worst for the first 4-5 days until swelling starts to reside then patients feel better each day thereafter. Sexual activity is usually refrained for about 6 weeks. In a study I was involved in back in 2009, 87% of vaginoplasty patients were satisfied with their results and had an improved sexual experience post-operatively. Typical (all inclusive) fee at my office/surgery center is $8500. Glad to help.    

Ryan A. Stanton, MD
Beverly Hills Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 128 reviews

Vaginoplasty might fix this

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

If you've had damage to the vagina from childbirth, you will most likely have damage to the supports of the vaginal walls (front, back and sides) which give many problems. The first step in determining whether you need a simple and straightforward vaginoplasty or a more involved procedure with pelvic reconstructive surgery is to get an exam with your gynecologist.

There are two issues here....

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Childbirth is very rough on the vagina as well as on the inner labia.  Your photos show asymmetry and the effects of tearing, especially on your right side. Also, your vaginal introitus (entry point) shows fairly significant laxity (gaping) without your even trying to separate your labia. 

The gaping indicates that your muscle tone is much diminished; labiaplasty will do nothing for your muscle deficiency, and it is the latter that is allowing air to progressively become trapped in your vagina during sex; the entrapped air has to "get back out" and that causes your symptom of "queefing." At least until you have a corrective procedure please try not to be embarrassed by this because it is as much you husband's "fault" as it is yours! He's the one who is 'pushing' the air inside, right?

So, what you need (after a full and compassionate exam by a gyn specialist) is a labiaplasty (to trim/repair your inner labia and to restore symmetry) and a vaginoplasty/perineoplasty (to re-establish the tone, tension, tightness and appearance to your pelvic floor muscles). The goal here is to tension your vagina to the extent that the vaginal mucosa (skin) cannot be seen while looking at yourself at rest; functionally, this also means that your vagina will be tight again--perhaps as tight as you were before your first childbirth.

Don't be discouraged here! Start with your gyn specialist; if he or she cannot see what I see/cannot do what I suggest, then find someone in your area who can.

Another thought: repair of these defects are typically the province of a gynecologic surgeon--maybe your own 'gyn.' And the vaginoplasty is a procedure covered by insurance; the labiaplasty fee might also be covered as it was related to trauma and is not purely an aesthetic issue!

Best of luck to you!

Vaginal laxity and enlarged labia

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
About 50% of first time moms have some type of tear during childbirth. That's a huge amount of women who are dealing with this problem, most of them in silence. You've given a voice to many of these concerns, which are obviously not easy to talk about.
There are two problems. One is enlargement of the labia minora which can be easily treated with a labiaplasty surgery. Most doctors just trim the excess tissue, but the healing times and scarring are much worse than from the extended wedge approach.
The second issue is vaginal laxity, which is leading to a lack of sexual satisfaction on your part, and air transfer in and out of the vagina during intercourse due to looseness which is no doubt the result of your perineal tear/episiotomy and failed repair. The treatment for this is a vagina tightening procedure called a posterior repair or perineoplasty. Some doctors also call this a vaginoplasty. It involves removing a portion of skin and vaginal canal, tightening the muscles of the perineal body, and closing down the caliber of the vagina. There are very few doctors who use just the right techniques for each of these surgeries... take your time and be very selective!

Vaginal Rejuvenation can help!

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
     Excellent question!  Technically, vaginal rejuvenation is a combination of any of three procedures: Anterior colporraphy, Posterior colporraphy, and perineorraphy. Each of these serves a different purpose. To tighten the introitus, or vaginal opening. a perineorraphy is performed. To decrease the diameter of the vagina, Anterior and/or Posterior colporraphy is performed.
     In order to even the labia minora, a labiaplasty may be recommended. I utilize the "C" technique under local anesthesia to craft a natural appearing labia minora that retains its original function, to protect the urethra (urinary opening).
    The best way to find answers is to seek consultation of a local Gynecologist or Urogynecologist who has received training in these delicate procedures. Hope this helps!

Would I need a vagina rejuvenation to fix this? (Photo)

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Thank you for your question and photograph. There is a wide variation in the size and appearance of a women's anatomy, and your vagina falls well within normal. Some women may have, or develop, enlarged or asymmetrical labia that can make exercise, sexual intercourse, or wearing certain types of clothing difficult. In these instances, a labiaplasty allows for a reduction in the size of the labia, while also making a more symmetrical pairing. As far as vaginal tightening, a perineoplasty can help narrow your entrance. A consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon, who could perform a physical exam, would be able to give you a more definitive opinion.

Nelson Castillo, MD
Atlanta Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 80 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.