Unhappy with chin/submental fat (Photo)

I am 37, 5'2" and 112 lbs. despite being at a healthy weight, I have this pesky spot under my chin. I would like to improve the appearance of my chin/jaw region but am not sure as to the best approach. Submental liposuction? Chin implant? Something else entirely?

Unhappy with chin submental

I think you should consider Kybella injections. At your age with the small amount of fat it should be highly effective. Most patients need 2 treatmentsdine a month apart. Procedure is done in the office under local anaesthesia.

Norwalk Plastic Surgeon

Unhappy with chin/submental fat

Hi, I have performed many Chin Augmentations using chin implants for over 30 years.  From the photos, your chin is weak (your chin is raised but I feel that a true profile view would show a weak chin) and there is a small amount of excess skin below the chin but not much fat.  A weak chin creates an imbalance making the nose appear larger, the mid face top heavy and the lower face look short that de-emphasizes the lips and allows early formation of a double chin.  Chin augmentation using a chin implant will add projection to the chin creating harmony and balance to the lower face.  I have found that placement of a silastic chin implant, through a small curved incision under the chin (also allows excess skin removal) to be very safe, quick, highly effective and far less invasive than a sliding genioplasty.  I perform chin implant surgery in 30 minutes or less, often using a local anesthetic alone.  The same incision can be used to remove the excess skin from under the chin.

Hope this helps.

Neck Contouring Options: More is still more for the neck

Neck contouring options have been expanded for submental fat with the introduction of Kybella and CoolSculpting. These modalities, as well as liposuction only address fat which in the majority of patients is not the only issue with neck contour. In order to address the neck line appropriately, it usually takes skin tightening, muscle centralization and fat removal. In the young neck under 40, it may be a tough one to accept but a necklift would be the best option because there is excess skin, muscle banding and minor fat deposits. This would be the most effective and longest lasting.There are too many issues created with the "less is more attitude" in the neck, that when done the right way from the start, satisfaction will be greatly improved.

Andrew P. Trussler, MD

Neck fullness

For young patients such as yourself, you can consider neck liposuction possibly combined with a chin implant or skin tightening devices for best results. i would have to examine your neck in person to assess for best treatment options. Good luck. Best, Dr H 

Sanaz Harirchian, MD
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon

Chin and liposuction options

Microgenia causing a small chin can both cause a retrognathic and small chin but also contribute to platysmal bands. A chin implant and liposuction would improve the neck line. Another option is botox to treat platysmal bands.

Jose E. Barrera, MD, FACS
San Antonio Facial Plastic Surgeon

chin implant and submental liposuction

From the one very limited photograph, it appears that there is a weak and recessive chin profile and fatty deposits in the neck.  Placement of a small chin implant is helpful for facial proportions to bring the mandible forward for structural support  of the soft tissues.  Submental liposuction can address removal of the fatty deposits in the neck.  If there is loose and inelastic skin in the neck, a  neck lift with skin removal will be required.   For many before and after results of both procedures, please see the link and the video below

Nec fullness

Most patients who are not overweight and have a double chin do so because of musculoskeletal in balance. This is most likely the cost for your concern. As such liposuction is probably not the best choice in the chin implant may be much more appropriate. Get an in person consultation with one or more board-certified plastic surgeon's to see what may work best. Avoid any doctors who cannot offer all alternative procedures. Best, Mats Hagstrom M.D.

Mats Hagstrom, MD

Unhappy with chin/submental fat

Hello Beforeandafter1,There are several treatment options for the submental fat, commonly called the double chin.  Liposuction is an option but at 37 there is a chance your skin wouldn't have enough elasticity to tighten back up.  This would exchange your submental fullness for some hanging skin.  You don't really have a lot of fat so cool sculpting would likely not be of much benefit.  Based on your one photo, Kybella injections may be a great treatment for you.  This is a material that dissolves fat.  Whether your are a candidate, though, depends on an in person evaluation.  I'd recommend you consult with a facial plastic surgeon in your area to learn about the various options and see if you are a candidate for Kybella.I hope this helps and good luck.  

William Marshall Guy, MD
The Woodlands Facial Plastic Surgeon