Which type of laser can remove this quickly? (Photo)

I have an all black tattoo about one inch wide on my wrist. I've done some research on a few different types of treatments. Most talk about how they work on various colors. I'm curious to know what would be best for this all black tattoo. I don't want to undergo unnessary pain if a simpler laser works just as well, but I'd also like it gone quickly. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!

Tattoo Removal

You would be a great candidate for the Alex Trivantage laser. This laser is the only one on the market that can target colors.  The multiple wave lengths can target all the colors and pigment in the tattoo with 4-6 sessions.  You should contact a board certified dermatologist as soon as possible.

Laser Tattoo Removal

Thank you for your question. Pico lasers are the most advanced technology. I utilize the PiQo4 laser which has 4 Pico wavelengths making it possible to remove 96% of ink in as little as 4-6 treatments on average. I also utilize the Picosure for a total of 5 Pico wavelengths. Tattoos are removed faster and safer with Pico lasers and there is less risk of scarring. Tattoo removal is still a process even with advanced technology and can take some time. I feel that it is important not only to seek the best technology but an experienced laser tattoo removal provider. I have been practicing laser tattoo removal for almost 20 years.

Daniel J. Ritacca, MD
Chicago Oculoplastic Surgeon

Laser Tattoo Removal -- Takes a series of treatmetns

No laser can remove tattoos quickly. They take a series of treatments. I suggest seeing an expert.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Black tattoo removal

Black is the easiest of the colors to remove. Both a Q Switched laser and Pico laser can do this. The 1064 wavelength is great for this. Pico might be faster but will also be more costly. With the QS laser it will take about 8-10 treatments because it is a very heavily inked tattoo.

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Which laser can remove tattoo quickly?

Hello, thank you for your question and for including a photo. Black ink is the easiest color to treat with laser.  The way a laser rids the body of unwanted ink, is it shatters the ink into tiny particles and your body absorbs those particles. Because your body has to play a part in the removal of ink, it is a process that is NOT quick. Depending on the device being used, it can take between 8-16+ treatments with the traditional Q-switch device, but it can take as few as 4-8 treatments with the latest technology in laser tattoo removal, the pico-second technology. The PicoWay Laser (Candela/Syneron) uses photoacoustic impact/pressure waves rather than photothermal/heat.  This process has less heat, therefore it is more comfortable and the chances of hyperpigmentation are less.  The Pico-second pulse shatters the ink into even smaller particles, allowing the body to more easily absorb the ink.  You should check in your area to see if this technology is available.Good Luck!

Mark A. Blair, MD
Phoenix Dermatologic Surgeon