Tummy tuck (Dra. Yili) Lots of fluid coming from my belly button and very bad burns. (photos)

On both sides of my pelvis. I have reached out to her office with no response and I have asked for my surgical records with no response. I am in the hospital again Is this possible an infection? What should I do about these burns? I feel alone and abandoned

No response from surgeon

Hi, Sorry you are dealing with this. I recommend seeing a plastic surgeon in your area so that a physical exam can be done and you can be managed appropriately. You don't appear to have an infection from the photos but this needs to be monitored. 

Dr. Blagg

Austin, TX

Your Surgeon Probably Did Abandoned You

The internet is filled with stories of Dr. Yili from the Dominican Republic, none are good. In addition, there is a rash of infections coming from the Dominican Republic that cannot be treated with antibiotics. Although you don't look like you have an infection at this point, you may need to be cultured to see if you have any antibiotic resistant bacteria. In reality, you are the one that left her, and she knows it; you are back in the States, and you are no longer her concern. Time to find a real plastic surgeon who can help you. Best of luck!

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

Concerns after tummy tuck surgery…

I am sorry to hear about your concerns after tummy tuck surgery. Based on your description, you have had surgery done away from your home;  are you back home now? If so, you will be best off seeking help from board-certified plastic surgeons in your area.  Nothing will replace in-person evaluation when it comes to accurate diagnosis and advice.

Sorry but what you are experiencing and feeling are the downsides associated with "medical tourism".  Hopefully,  a plastic surgeon in your area will be able to help alleviate your concerns.

Out of Country Surgery

Dear mellimel85,

I am sorry that you are having these complications, but this is precisely why medical tourism is a dangerous venture. Your responsible surgeon is in another country, and it is going to be difficult to find a plastic surgeon in this country willing to take over your care not knowing what was done. I wish you the best of luck.

Robert D. Wilcox, MD

Robert D. Wilcox, MD

Seek medical attention in your area

It’s unfortunate your surgeon has not returned your calls. It’s important that you continue to try to get in touch with them, because you should have this examined by them. You can also try to contact another reputable board certified plastic surgeon who can help you and is located in your area. In the meantime, follow the care instructions provided to you by your hospital, and make sure you tell them as many details about your surgery as possible. 

Tummy tuck (Dra. Yili) Lots of fluid coming from my belly button and very bad burns.

Fluid collections must always be addressed as bacteria can colonize those areas and cause infections.  It is always best to ask these questions of your chosen surgeon as recommendations may be different.

We constantly advise against going to the DR for surgery. Had you done your research you would be aware of the constant reports of major complications in patients who try to save a few dollars on surgery and wind up with major medical expenses. When you pay a plastic surgeon for surgery that includes care of postoperative complications. If you have surgery out of the country you need to be prepared to travel back to that doctor for your surgery or to pay for your care locally as you are finding. I hope you will actively make your problems known and perhaps you can save others from making this poor choice. 

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Post-op tummy tuck concerns

I'm sorry you are having to deal with this situation without support from your surgeon.  Your pictures do provide some insight as to your current condition; however, an in person examination will be best.  I strongly encourage you to seek evaluation by a board certified plastic surgeon.  With appropriate direction and treatment you should be able to heal.  I wish you the best.

Dr. Mooty

R. Clark Mooty, MD
Lubbock Plastic Surgeon