Seroma surgically removed- what is the recovery time? Was surgery necessary?

I was nearly a month out post op when my left breast starting hurting and swelling up and bruising. Immediately thought hemotosis, as did my doctor. So he did a quick surgery. Turns out it was a small seroma. Now I have a higher rate to contract capsular construction. Was this avoidable? Do I really have to start from day 1? Not in so much pain since the pocket was already formed.

Seroma from breast surgery

Thank you for your question.  You should heal fine from the your description. Chances are not really high for capsular contracture unless a bacterial contamination. Please follow instructions from your PS.

If you had swelling and pain from a seroma, then it is reasonable to drain it.  Seromas can happen when we put implants into the breast and cannot be completely avoided.  Capsular contracture is likely a response from a small amount of bacteria on the implant, not from a seroma.  I would guess your recovery will be quicker form the second surgery because, as you said, the pocket has been formed.

Tyler C. Street, MD
Napa Plastic Surgeon