Saline implants too high. What should I do?

Got a mommy makeover 4 days ago. My right breast is riding high. High as in under my collar bone. What should I do?

Dr Derby Sang

It has only been 4 days , so i guess that it is wise to have them to settle in a bit more so that you can see the final results first. Best of luck

Too early

This will most likely settle with time. Your body needs to adjust to the presence of the implants, and tissue expansion occurs over a couple of months. This will allow the implants to settle into a more natural place. I recommend waiting 3-4 months.

Compression Band can Help

Dear bringMYsexybk,

You are very early from your mommy makeover. You should hurry back to your surgeon immediately if you notice the right breast is higher than the left. This early on after surgery, that position can be influenced by application of a band with steady compression on the upper portion.

I hope this has been helpful.

Robert D. Wilcox, MD

Robert D. Wilcox, MD

Swelling

It is probably your swollen pectoralis muscle that is making your implant appear high.  Wait a few months for all the swelling to settle out.

Sheila S. Nazarian, MD

Breast implants too high

At four days after surgery, it is much too early to determine if a breast implant is too high.  Implants do drop in position after surgery and swelling of the muscle can make it look like a breast implant is placed high.  Please see your surgeon who can reassure you.  Best wishes for your recovery!

Shim Ching, MD
Honolulu Plastic Surgeon

Implant high 4 days after surgery

Thank you for your question about your mommy make-over.

• Your implants are under the muscle. 
  • The muscle is in spasm, forcing the implant high.
  • It will come down in time, but can take anywhere form 2 weeks to 6 months.
  • Alert your surgeon to your concern so you can follow your healing together to be sure all is well.

Always consult a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Hope you find this information helpful. Best wishes.

Saline Implants High 4 Days Post-Op

At 4 days post-op this is very normal. I assume your implants were placed under the muscle. At this time, your pectoralis muscles are very tight, trying to get used to the implants underneath. They are likely spasming a bit, which pushes the implants even higher. It is important to minimize your arm movement. Remember that your chest muscles come all the way across and attach to your arms, so even small arm movements can keep the muscles tight, especially if you are fit, thin and active. If you are a runner or if you exercise regularly, it typically takes a bit longer for the muscles to be able to relax, allowing the implants to settle into their new position, which is called "dropping & fluffing." This is something your board certified plastic surgeon can discuss with you. This is also why you have restriction on your activity after surgery. Congratulations and best of luck to you!

Emily J. Kirby, MD
Fort Worth Plastic Surgeon

Mommy makeover concerns

It takes time after surgery for things to settle down.  Any concerns you should always feel you can speak to your plastic surgeon.  What they will tell you more than likely is to just wait for the swelling to improve and the tissue to settle.  Don't panic, give it some time.

Dr Rodger Shortt
Oakville Plastic Surgeon
Director of Cosmetic Surgery Training &
Assistant Clinical Professor,
McMaster University

Rodger Shortt, FRCSC

4 days post-op

At just 4 days out, you are at the peak of your swelling.  This might well be the cause of your situation, as the swelling often makes the implants temporarily look higher -  but you should have your surgeon check you over, to rule out other possibilities, like bleeding or infection.

Usually, the swelling settles down over about 3 weeks, and the tissues relax over about 2 -3 months, and the implants settle into their final position.

Saline Implants Too High

Your surgeon would be best able to advise you as he or she knows the scope of the surgery and the specifics about you. Implants may lower somewhat but the extent is unknown without a better understanding of the case.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS